No - Modern AU! - Jean x Reader

Just a little note - any artwork I have attached is credited to its original artist!

~~~

"Shut the hell up, Jaeger!" Jean hissed, his fists clenched at his sides. You frowned and leaned forward slightly. 

"Jean calm down," you whispered to him from across the table. "Just let it be." 

Jean ignored your attempt at calming the situation down and continued to glare up at your other closest friend. 

It was just after you and Jean's morning class at Maria University, and the two of you decided to get some coffee at the cafe down the street. You and Jean had been best friends for quite some time now, but you had been friends with Eren longer. You had grown up with the tempermental man, and it irked you when him and Jean got into small spats like this; especially in public places. 

However, Eren knew nothing of the fact that you were head over heels in love with Jean and you had no intentions of telling him because you knew he would disapprove and try to take you away from him. 

Your third friend, Marco, watched helplessly as he walked up to the table, a math textbook in his arms. He frowned at you as Jean and Eren continued to bicker. Unlike Eren and Jean, you told Marco about your feelings and he constantly told you that you should inform Jean because he had no doubt in his mind that he felt that same way. 

"Yeah whatever, horse! At least I don't roll around in hay in my free time!" Eren yelled back. You rolled your eyes at the childish and weak comeback. 

"Guys seriously, we're in public," Marco murmured. 

Both of you could feel Jean's blood boiling. He was so easy to anger, even with simple and stupid insults. 

"Rolling around in hay is better than living in shit!"

You scowled at Jean's response. He couldn't be serious. That was the worst comeback you had ever heard. 

"I'd rather live in shit than sleep with anything that moves or looks in my direction," Eren growled. Your eyes widened. That was it. You felt Jean's anger overflow at the cheap shot as he death glared the turquoise eyed boy. 

"At least I can get something from someone that isn't my mother," Jean retorted. "Oh wait, that's right. What mother?"

You gasped in horror as everyone else around you fell into silence. Not even Eren could respond; he was too busy gaping at Jean. You were shocked - you knew Jean could get extremely pissed off and go pretty far, but you never thought he would stoop as low as using Eren's dead mother against him. You thought Jean knew his limits.

"Too fucking far, Jean," you hissed, standing up from your seat. "Honestly I didn't think you would go that far just to win a stupid fucking argument. Way to go, Kirschtein." 

You reached for Eren's arm and gently tugged him out of the cafe after gathering your things. 

As the two of you walked, Eren's eyes filled with angry tears. You looked at him and almost cried yourself at how heartbroken and torn apart he was now.

"Are you okay?" You asked quietly. 

Eren shook his head slowly. His pace came to a stop and he glared at the sidewalk below his feet.

"I knew the bastard hated me, but to go as far as that?" He mumbled. His hands repeatedly clenched and unclenched into fists. You frowned and stepped closer to him and wrapped your arms around his neck in a comforting hug.