Chapter 12

As Selene Traveled to the house she quickly stopped and pulled out the notice, the job was literally called 'The Devil by the Well.' The job had been posted by a farmer who was worried about his sick and dying daughter. As she road back to the small town she turned and went just a bit further up heading towards the house.

     Shaking her head she quickly dismounted her Horse once more. Her leg no longer felt as if it was on fire and she was indeed relieved for that small mercy. Reaching into a bag she pulled out a worn shirt and carefully wiped away the blood from her face. Once she was clean enough did she finally put the shirt away and go inside of the house.

    "How can I help ye ma'am?" Selene shook her head and pulled out the notice. "I'm here about the notice." "Aye, so ye a witcher?" "I am." "Alright, well what do ye need to know?" "This well is haunted?" "Aye, and I needs the water, or well my daughter does." Selene raised an eyebrow this time. "Can't an herbalist help her?" "No, I've already asked. Everyone's said clean water will help her, can't draw from the rivers anymore, due to all the blood monster and human alike that flows in it."

    Selene nodded, this was one of the worst things about wars. "Right, so you need the water from the well." "Aye, but first the spirit needs to be driven away. I ain't ever seen it, but those who do, they go mad milady, or they don't come back at all." "Right, how do I get there?" "Leave the house and turn left, you'll see a path that'll take ye there. And good luck Lady Witcher."

    Selene nodded once more before she left Odolan's home and headed straight towards her horse, this time it would be faster to take raven rather then leave her behind. Clicking her tongue she urged raven towards the path the man had mentioned.

     After traveling for roughly half an hour Selene could finally see the abandoned village just ahead. Feeling her medallion pulse against her skin she frowned. "Something is definitely there..." she mumbled to herself. Pulling raven to a halt she carefully dismounted and tied to her a tree. "I'll be back girl." And with that she turned and made her way into the abandoned village. Frowning at the state it was in she finally noticed some burnt grass and knelt down to examine it.

    "I wonder what happened here, I should probably look around." After checking several homes she soon found a diary that she picked up and read with care, it was full of entries about what had happened, before she noticed the remains of a man, scowling she looked around once more before she saw markings along the floor and marks against the door frame. "So someone was dragged out of here, must have tried to fight them off..." shaking her head she finally went outside and followed the marks along the ground before she noticed something about the well.

    "There's blood...and the rope, it's taught like something or someone dropped something heavy." Deciding to look into the well Selene felt her blood run cold. "Could this...be Claer? Hm she's missing an arm, I need to burn the remains but can't do that unless I have what binds her to this world." "Hmm, however I can tell now that I'm dealing with a noonwraith." Sighing to herself she gripped the edge of the well.

   "I just hope this jump doesn't kill me, or break my legs." And with that she jumped over and fell down right into the water which was thankfully deep enough. Taking a deep breath she dove beneath the icy water and looked around before she spotted something gold and slightly large. Swimming towards it she quickly but surely grabbed the bracelet that she summarized belonged to Claer and swam towards the surface. "Got it, now time to get the fuck out of here." Looking around she soon noticed an opening and swam towards it only noticing then that it was mainly underwater.

    "Damnit." Cursing to herself she took a deep breath before she dove right back under and followed the singular tunnel, surfacing when she could for air then right back down until she saw light peering in from the exit. Swimming a bit faster finally exited the underwater cave and swam right for the surface. Once there she quickly inhaled before swimming to shore.