Chapter Forty-Three (Ambush of the Imposters)

Welcome to the first DLC, Ambush of the Imposters! This took me roughly fifteen hours to complete. It's almost 10k words long and reaches nearly 30 pages. Will obviously be split up into two parts, so this is the first part! This is going to be hell to edit...

Please enjoy! (Question to my fellow writers out there that write on this platform, why don't horizontal lines show in the completed work? They show up in the editor, but not in the published chapter. I've never understood this.)

It's been about a week since I spoke with Itsuki in his room. Everything has returned relatively to normal. Yesterday I wasn't able to get on at all due to spending the entire day out shopping for some sort of window lock that I could put on my window and prevent people from getting into my apartment. Especially if we think that Death Gun might have multiple people working together. That brings us to today. I sigh, laying down on my bed with my arms and legs spread out comfortably like a starfish. My phone buzzes, and I reach over to grab it. Oh, Momiji is calling me? I answered her call.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked her.

"It's nothing much, I just wanted to talk about something. Have you logged into GGO at all yesterday? Or today?" She asks me.

"Um, no... Why? Did something happen?" I ask suddenly, sitting up and feeling the blood rush to my head from sitting up too fast. Momiji denies that nothing happened, but I get the feeling that I should log in and check on everything.

"I'll be on GGO in just a few minutes." Momiji sighs.

"Alright, just I don't know, something seemed weird about Hikaru when I saw him yesterday. He was all wanting to shake my hand and whatnot. Have you been teaching him new etiquette?" She asks and I shake my head, then realize that she can't see.

"Um, no? I'll talk to him when I get in the game. See what's up." She sighs in relief.

"Alright, I just wanted to check with you. It was weird and not normal, so I figured you should be the one to call." She explains to me. I'd be weirded out too if Hikaru suddenly started acting like that. Strange.

"Thanks! I'll see you in the game, bye!" Momiji says her own goodbye and I get up off of my bed and walk over to my desk to grab my AmuSphere. Placing it on my head, I lay back down.

"Link start!"

When I log in, Hikaru isn't in my room. I sigh, as this has become a usual occurrence. However, I've been letting it slide since he's normally with our other friends. As soon as I leave the building, I hear footsteps racing towards me. I look up to see Hikaru.

"Master!" He sounds panicked. I tilt my head in confusion.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. He gets this confused expression on his face.

"This is going to sound random, but have I mentioned anything to you about, uh, "hot scoops" or "spooky stories" or anything like that?" He asks me. I think over the last time I saw Hikaru and shake my head.

"No, Kureha told me you were acting weird around her... Is everything fine?" I ask him. Hikaru shakes his head.

"I haven't seen Kureha, though." Huh?

"You haven't? She was certain it was you, though. She sounded concerned because you were acting weird." I told him and he shook his head.

"I really haven't seen her!" He exclaims, his expression is frantic. He's telling the truth, he hasn't seen Kureha. I tilt my head in confusion.

"Then, who did Kureha meet?" I ask him. He opens his mouth to speak.

"Well, you see..." More footsteps brings our attention to Kirito, Asuna, Sinon and Yui. They all smile and wave at us. Kirito looks over at Hikaru.