Chapter Forty-Two (Dreams)

Okay, so I couldn't help myself. A bit more Itsuki content since I feel bad for not posting anything around in April for his birthday. Enjoy~!

A new day has dawned in GGO. In the end, everyone is still going to continue to play in GGO. No one will be leaving. I look around and sigh. All of these other players don't know that there is a murderer on the loose. Suddenly, I can hear someone racing towards me. I look in front of me to see Itsuki turning a fast corner. He looks around and spots me, immediately heading in my direction.

"Are you by yourself, (Y/N)? What incredible luck I must have to meet you here of all places!" Itsuki looks like something is wrong.

"Are you alright? What's going on?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"Is that to suggest I don't look vexed very often? Well, you're right. Look at these women chasing towards me!" Itsuki suddenly grabs my hand, pulling me in the opposite direction of the women chasing him... and now me.

"Itsuki! Why are you pulling me with you?!" I exclaimed out of shock. I wasn't expecting him to just suddenly grab me.

"Be my lucky charm and help me get out of this!" I huff at him.

"Why are you being chased?" I ask him. He pulls me into a dead end. The women catch up to us. Itsuki is still holding onto my hand as they run up.

"Finally! We've been looking all over for you!" A beret-wearing girl exclaims, while the taller girl subtly glares in my direction. Gosh darn it Itsuki, you've gone and done it again, drawing me into your fanclub's attention.

"What is your problem, Itsuki?!" The taller girl yells at him. The first girl nods rapidly.

"Yeah! Explain yourself right now! Why haven't you been going on quests with us lately? Hmm?" Is that seriously what this is about? Itsuki rubs his forehead with his free hand.

"I believe I've already explained myself. I'm a part of a squadron now. We're having a lot of fun playing together, aren't we, (Y/N)?" He looks down, smirking and drawing attention to me. The girls glare at our still conjoined hands. He gently squeezes my hand, getting a response out of me.

"Uh, yeah!" I lean in closer, close enough to whisper.

"Why are you still holding my hand?!" I glare up at him in a flustered mess. Itsuki laughs.

"Just hang on a little longer. I've got a plan to make these women go away." He whispers back to me.

"So, as I've told you before, I want to focus on playing with my squadron for the foreseeable future." Itsuki returns his attention back to the two girls. The shorter one shakes her head while the other one is glaring daggers into me when she thinks I'm not looking.

"W-well, that still doesn't excuse the sudden cancellations!" The short one exclaims and the taller one nods, pouting.

"Yeah, you promised us you'd go..." Her face is pulled down into a pout, trying to pull on Itsuki's heartstrings. She should know that wouldn't work. Itsuki sighs, seeming to be getting annoyed with these two women.

"What is the point of getting so attached to me? We're in a virtual world. No matter how strong a connection you might forge, it's still with someone you've never met and, for that matter, may never meet. Though now that I think about it, I believe I'm beginning to see the value of these attachments." He looks down at me and I tilt my head curiously. Attachments? To me? I'm reminded of his searching for information about myself from Argo. Is Itsuki interested in me similarly to how these girls are interested in him? No, that can't be it... The girls make confused noises, staring at Itsuki in shock. He then looks back over at the two.