"Her heartbeat will slow down gradually. After that, when her body is prepared, she will need to... drink... from a vampire. At least the first time. Then, she will become... one of us."

I needed to sit down. I moved away from Ioan and sat on the steps of the wooden dais, leaning my head against the cool wall, eyes closed. This was crazy. And then it wasn't. At least, the concept didn't sound completely new. This was the stuff of vampire novels of my other world, a cruel reality here.

"Are you all right, my lady?" Ioan asked, looking down at me, eyes filled with concern. "Do you want me to call someone?"

The only person whose presence would make me feel better right now was Vlad, but he would hardly have time to rush at my side to hold my hand. I had to manage on my own.

"I'm fine," I assured him, standing up again. "You can go now, surely my husband is expecting you. Would you please tell him that we are all right here? Do not let him worry, please."

Ioan smiled at me, bowing deeply, then moved towards the door.

"Captain!" I couldn't resist. "Your fiancée has missed you very much. Maybe you should take a few moments to talk to her before you return to your duties..."

"Thank you, my lady," he said with another deep bow before he left.

I only managed to remove the girl's coat when Katerina entered with a large basin of warm water and towels. Clara followed a few minutes later, all doe-eyed and rosy cheeked, the way she always looked when she was around Ioan.

Seeing Clara so happy made me worry more about the young woman on the bed. She seemed to be old enough to be engaged or even married. If there was someone waiting for her somewhere, would he still accept her once she was changed? And her parents, her family... It was one thing to become a vampire by choice, and completely another if it happened against one's own will...

I forced myself to stop thinking and concentrate on the task at hand.

"I was told that all we can do for her right now is to give her time, to wait," I said, looking at Katerina, waiting for her to confirm my words.

"Yes, my lady," she agreed gravely.

"Can we wash her and change her clothes? She might feel better..."

"Of course, Lady Samara," the old nurse replied, watching me, her voice filled with anxiety.

"I'm quite well, Katerina, I just want to help! It's her we need to worry about!" I exclaimed.

She nodded, then joined me by the bed, followed by Clara.

Once the woman was clad in one of my shirts, prompted more comfortably against the pillows, the wound on her neck cleaned and dressed, I asked Clara to bring me a chair. I was determined to stay with her. I noticed how the woman's heart rate was starting to slow and how her temperature, already high before, was still rising. Even though Katerina said it was normal, it troubled me.

"This might last for days, even weeks, my lady," Katerina said. "You should come with us and eat something. It's past lunchtime."

"No, Katerina, I'm not leaving her..."

"But..."

A loud knock at the door cut the nurse's retort off. Clara went to open and disappeared behind the door shortly. Then she was back in with a large tray full of food, looking perplexed.

"Well, I see your husband remembers your stubbornness," the nurse muttered, "still, he shouldn't encourage it this way."

That made me laugh. "Katerina, just go. Take Clara to her Captain and have lunch with them. I'm staying here. Go!"