~23~

The dinner was a much quieter event than what it had been the previous night.

Both Cook and Clara were stealing occasional glances at Ioan, who seemed to be listening to the last moment, half-whispered instructions from Junior. It was obvious, to me at least, that the situation wasn't as safe and simple as they were describing it to us, women. I would have preferred the whole truth, anytime, whatever it was...

"You must eat, my lady," Katerina spoke at my side, scattering my thoughts.

She took advantage of no one paying attention to me at the moment and forced me to eat my supper, talking about unimportant things, trying to distract me from the conversation going on at the other side of the table.

Even though I knew she meant well, I was relieved when after what seemed to have been an eternity, or at least a couple of interminable hours, the men stood up and Ioan took his leave of the two old women. Then, on a collective, tacit agreement, we left the two lovers alone. Katerina and Cook shuffled towards the adjoining room while Junior and I exited to the corridor.

The heavy door closed behind us with a thud, leaving us in the cool and silent semi-darkness to wait for Ioan.

Closing my eyes, I leaned against the cold stone wall and sighed. I knew exactly how the two were feeling now. And for poor Clara, it would be worse tomorrow... and the day after... left here waiting, hoping... I opened my eyes again to find Junior watching me intently, the typical small, all-knowing smile playing on his lips.

"Don't say anything," I mumbled even as the door opened, and Ioan joined us in the corridor.

"Done?" Junior asked, averting his gaze to his friend. "Did she like it?"

"Yes," Ioan answered him simply, then turning to face me changed the subject, "I'm ready to go now, my lady."

I nodded and followed them along the dimly lit corridors towards the Entry Hall. As we approached the open door leading to the courtyard where the rest of the Guard was waiting for their captain, I found myself wrapping my arms around my body for warmth.

It was freezing outside. A thin layer of snow, shining like stardust in the flickering light of the torches mounted on the walls, was covering the floor of the hall where it had been blown in by the incessant wind, and refused to melt. More snow lay in soft heaps around the courtyard, and I wondered just how much of it had fallen out there, in the open. Their journey would not be a pleasant and easy one. And not even as fast as I had hoped, seeing that they were going to ride...

"Why are you taking horses?" I asked Ioan, teeth chattering. "I thought it was faster to..." I looked to Junior for help; the idea of them running across the countryside was still too strange for me. But if it was the fastest way, then I would want them to run.

"Father asked them to bring some horses. They might need them if..." Junior started to explain with his characteristic, unsugarcoated honesty, but Ioan interrupted him with a warning look.

"We will split up, my lady. We only take a few horses; we might need them on the way back. The rest of us will run and reach your husband in no time." He looked like he knew what he was doing, and it made me feel better.

"Now, would you take Lady Samara inside," he said, turning to Junior, "she is cold."

It was true, I was freezing, and obviously, Ioan's experience with Clara made him more attentive to my human needs.

Junior shrugged out of his jacket and wrapped it around me, muttering, "I keep forgetting, don't I?" He looked so abashed that it made me smile.

"D-don't worry, you are doing well," I replied, shuddering as the lingering warmth of his body trapped in the soft fabric spread over me.