~26~

I pulled myself into a sitting position with difficulty, feeling dazed, certain that I was dreaming.

"Father!" Junior's voice reached me again, sounding more distant now.

Then Vlad was there on his knees by my side holding me at arm's length, taking me in, examining me.

I yearned to touch his silky hair, his soot-covered face, brush the ashes off his torn cloak, but he held my arms so tightly I couldn't move. Then he crushed me in an embrace that knocked my breath out, making it impossible to ask any of the questions bubbling on my lips... Where? How? What's going on?

He felt too real. I wasn't dreaming.

"I thought I had lost you again," he whispered.

I giggled, undone with emotion, "Wasn't it you who got lost?"

He pulled away slightly to see in my eyes, not letting go of me. A relieved smile seemed to be struggling for dominance of other emotions on his tired face. "The fire, Samara. In your room."

What? I started struggling to my feet to see what was happening, what he was talking about.

"No, you can't go there, not now," he said, tracing the dark rings under my eyes with his thumbs, wrapping me in another bone-shattering hug and speaking in my ear. "The curtains of your bed caught fire, but nothing else burned. We came just in time. Still. Should you have been there, sleeping, you might have been hurt... or worse..." His voice trailed away.

"How?" I whispered.

"I don't know. A candle, maybe," he said, kissing me on the forehead, then letting go of me.

I missed his touch immediately and reached for his hand. Like his face and clothes, it was blackened with soot. Luckily, he didn't look hurt.

"But I didn't use a candle in there... I came here straight after my bath..."

He nodded. "We will find out. Tonight you can't sleep there." He seemed to be listening for a few moments, face turned towards the door of the library, then asked, "Do you want another room?"

"Sorry?" I asked, surprised by his question.

"It's your nurse."

It was all he managed to say before we heard a knock on the door, followed by Katerina's voice.

"Do you want me to go aw...?" I asked, suddenly unsure of how I was expected to behave, what was the proper etiquette to follow in this case. We did have separate bedrooms...

His lips were on mine before I could finish my question, soft and reassuring, growing more passionate as I responded to his touch, my hands moving on their own volition, pulling him close, not wanting to let go.

The knocking came again, making me sigh with frustration. I should have a word with my nurse.

"So..." I asked, looking in his green eyes, now blazing in the low firelight.

"No, I don't want you to go. Unless you want to," he said, running the back of his hand down my cheek, making my breath hitch. I missed him so much.

"Come in!" I called, my voice coming low and trembling.

"My lady! Are you well?" Katerina asked, approaching us. "I was so scared, should something happen to you..."

I stood up and walked closer to her, leaving Vlad by the fireplace, ignoring the cold floor under my bare feet. This was my battle to fight.

"I'm fine, Katerina, I've been here all night. I had no idea about the fire," I said, kissing the old woman on the cheek.

She nodded. "I'm glad, my lady. You can come with me now. Your new chamber is ready."