~14~

I reached the top of the stairs, giggling. That had been fun. After such an eventful day, this short and unexpected conversation had been exactly what I needed to take my mind off all the other, unpleasant things.

Before I walked into the unlit corridor, I made sure that no one could see me, then closed the door carefully. I didn't want Katerina to know where I had been.

"Lady Samara," Katerina started as soon as I put one foot over the threshold of my chamber, "will you stop disappearing? I've been worried. Lord Vlad told me what a difficult day you've had, and then you are gone..."

"Oh, Katerina, I'm fine, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere," I said, walking over to where she stood and embracing her.

She patted my back in a caring, motherly way, then pushed a few strands of my hair from my face, mumbling, "Will you ever let me do your hair properly? I really don't approve of you wearing it loose."

That made me laugh. She was always so... proper. "Katerina, I'm not a little girl anymore. Will you let me do what pleases me and allow me to make my own decisions?"

"Very well, my lady. Now please decide to take your bath before the water gets too cold," she said, frowning.

"Thank you, Katerina, it's exactly what I was going to beg for! Can you read my mind?"

"No, I can't, but I think your husband can. He told me to get your bath ready," she said, shaking her head disapprovingly. "He looked quite troubled..." she added.

Oh no. I didn't want him to worry. It had definitely been an eventful day, but I was fine... sort of. A pang of jealousy spread through me as I remembered Jusztyna... she was still here... Don't go there! I screamed at myself.

"Thank you, Katerina," I said, looking away from her and walking towards the wooden tub placed by the fireplace. I hadn't even noticed it before.

"What is it, Lady Samara?" she asked as she helped me out of my dress and into the steaming bath.

I sat down in the warm water inhaling its wonderful, calming scent. It smelled like cinnamon tonight. Taking a bar of soap from her, I tried to wash away all the events and worries of the very long day.

Katerina passed me another cup of warm mead, and I smiled at her. I must look really beat and tired if she lets me indulge this much.

However, my unsettling thoughts and memories, instead of drowning in the scented bath, kept resurfacing, coming back to me reflected off the surface of the soapy water. Jusztyna's face appeared in front of me every time I closed my eyes. Out of all the things that had happened today, you chose to worry about her. My subconscious laughed at me.

I sighed deeply when I finally stepped out of the water, and Katerina helped me dry up, wrapping me in a large, warm towel before I slipped on a clean linen shirt.

"I saw her," I said, my voice a hoarse whisper after the long silence, unable to keep it to myself anymore.

Katerina looked at me confused at first, then shocked as she understood. "My lady, she..."

"Thank you, Katerina, now leave us, please," Vlad's voice interrupted her mid-sentence, making me gasp. He stood right behind me, and I hadn't heard him coming in at all. He was so fast and silent.

Katerina curtseyed politely and for once did as he asked her, leaving us alone without a word.

Vlad walked in front of me and looked in my eyes intently, trying to understand my mood. I blushed-- he must have heard what I had just told Katerina.