۶ Royal Gift

Thranduil's POV

As I entered the castle, I immediately stormed to my bedchamber, and just stopped, when I reached the strong oak railing, which prevented me from falling down from my balcony. There was a very good sight from here to the private gardens. I looked down, slightly trembling from exhaustion and confusion.

She was there.

Exactly where I've left her. A little sparkling jewel in the middle of an endless black ocean. I swallowed. Here and now, I - the Great Elven King of Mirkwood, Thranduil, son of Oropher - had to confess, I was afraid. I was afraid, because I became so unguarded only a minute ago, I didn't think, I could be in this life again. I had to confess, I didn't know, what I would have done, if my guard hadn't arrived in time.

Oh, I knew very well what I wanted to do! Only one single look into her eyes made me forget about everything I knew. The knowledge I've found in those eyes was ancient, intangible, and as great as mine would never be. Her power could easily destroy us, I knew that. But still, I felt the desire to save her even from the smallest danger.

And she was innocent. Since I had the gift to see the truth in the eyes, one short blink was enough to tell, she had never wanted to hurt me, or anybody else. That made it more difficult. I didn't know what exactly, but it was difficult.

What has this elleth done to me, for the Valar?

I looked at the sky, waiting for an answer, but this time, it was in vain. They could not help me. I heard a roar from below, and looked toward the sound, just to see her sitting on the ground. I grabbed the railing with both hands. It was unbearable. I made her suffer. I commanded her to go away, while I didn't know anything about her. Where could she go anyway? It would be my fault, if she ended up dead somewhere a mile away.

But you can not stay here, warrior. Not in my near.

I closed my eyes, and was listening to the mix of the sound of the late autumn wind and her cry.

'Gîl síla na lû govaded (Let the stars shine, when we meet again)' I whispered, even if she could not hear me. After a last glance, I stepped back to my chamber, and informed my guards, I would take a rest. When they left the room, I forced myself reaching the bed. Maybe, the Starlight Fest would calm me down. It always healed my soul. Always did... I didn't realize my eyes closed, just when it opened again, as I heard, the garden doors were slammed noisily.

She came back.

Noira's POV

As I flew through the door, I immediately crashed into something still.

'Ouch! King Thranduil?!' I looked up with tearful eyes. Nope, it was only a guard in armor. I could swear, he raised a brow under his helmet. There couldn't be another idiot in Middle Earth, who would have called him king until now. 'Where is he?' I asked quickly.

'His Majesty is probably in his bedchamber' sounded the bored answer.

'I need to speak with him, now!'

'You are not allowed'

'Why, what is he doing?' I asked without thinking.

'What do you usually do at midnight, my lady?'

'Lead me to him, anyhow!' He didn't react. 'Then just let me go' I said angrily, and tried to step at his side, but he stepped too, and hid the road.

'I can not'

'Then why are you here, for God's sake?!'

'To lead you to your chamber, if that is what you choose' he said, as he would have just red it from a paper.