۶ Escape

Thranduil's POV

On the next day, for the first time in a millennia, I missed waking up in the early hours. Last night, I stormed into the healing rooms and asked some herbs from the frieghtened nurse to calm myself down at least a bit. Somehow, after eating those plants, I passed out, like a dead. I didn't even remember reaching my chambers. Maybe, I should have eaten one bite, as the elleth said, and not a bowl of them.

It was nearly noon, and I was still in bed, staring at the ceiling. And getting angry for the second time, in two days. This didn't happen in the last few centuries. What have that female done to me? How could she have seen my past?! If that damn trespasser and her sin wasn't enough, yesterday everybody cleared out of my way as I was just Sauron itself!

I sat up and called for my servants to make me ready for the day, as quickly as it was possible! Half an hour and a short lunch later, I was on my way to the library. My private library. I owned some ancient books with ancient knowledge, I didn't want to share with anybody else in the palace. Next to this, I had a collection of royal books, I inherited from my father, grandfather, and they... the Valar knows from who.

I walked across the huge bookshelves, till I reached a little door at the end. The old golden key was turning hardly in the lock, but after a minute of begging, it gave it up, and let me enter. I lit some candles, stood them on the desk and at their dim light, I took a look at the little room. The dusty shelves and books welcomed me, as long seen, old friends. I hadn't been to this place since centuries. Since my queen's death. After that day, everything lost its sense for me.

'Well, now I am here again' I sighed as sat down into an old armchair.

Science of ten thousand years must have been enough to get my answers. I spent long hours with reading from wizards – they were always speaking in cloudy phrases, so you surely could not understand clearly anything -, witches – they literally enjoyed confusing your mind -, even demons – what was highly forbidden - but found nothing. Nothing about her. I sighed, stood up tiredly and threw the last book away. Taking some steps slowly, I run my eyes through of the rest on the shelf – story books for elflings, we were writing to Legolas, some cookbook and empty parchment. Nothing – I thought, and turned out of the room.

All in all, starting the day with a headache, reading all day long in vain and missing the dinner didn't help me find my inner peace. I ended up on the thought, fighting always calmed my nerves. Since not even a single orc was hanging around here – fortunately -, I took my way to the training rooms. It was late in the evening, I could cruelly destroy stupid wooden dolls without anybody to watch me. I pushed the doors without taking care, what made a terrible noise, slammed back.

I found myself staring at my son as he was standing in the middle of the room with Tauriel – dangerously close - and blinking at me in clear shock. Tauriel was a simple guard. A simple woodelf. I had never allowed Legolas – the crown prince - to fall for her. Never! I started to accept the idea, my mind would explode before this day ends.

Preventing this – and killing my own son -, I took a deep-deep breath as stepped back, and slowly, closed the door again.

This. Just. Didn't. Happen.

I stepped without a sound and walked outside from the palace, holding my breath. I was comic. Things were just happening to me and not by me. This was new. I was so close to go insane, so close! Bring here just one single dwarf, and I'll be off!

The only living creature who could calm me down was found next to the great oak trees. I often visited my four-footed friend on the edge of madness. The fresh night air slowly filled my lungs and cleaned my aching head, as I went across the dark gardens, as a ghost.