۶ Gratitude

Noira's POV

Our way to the dining halls seemed like an eternity. There was a point, when I was sure, the maiden was lost. Firstly, we were going down, and down, and down, till we reached an old door, then stepped outside. The blondy glanced at the sky, and found it dark. At night. Surprise.

Then she turned back, and we continued our travel – this time, to the highest floor - and then, on a hidden corridor, we went down again. I wanted to ask her if this was her very first day in the castle, so much. We were panting a little, when she opened another door, bowed, and a moment later, she and the guards disappeared.

The night wind carried a pleasant lavender scent toward me, as I stepped out cautiously. Then I stopped and just looked around, smiling. The miracle I saw melted my heart and made my shiver at the same time.

It was not a dining hall. More likely a garden. Tall trees grew in a big circle, and their dark leaves almost hid the night sky. I walked forward on a little path slowly, between lavender, and another wonderful flower, I could not identify. It had blue leaf. I blinked again. I could swear, it was movin. The little nightlings were lightening the way, leading me forward, till I caught a glimpse of something bright between the plants. I stopped at the little silver lake.

The colors, the lights, the smells reminded me of my hometown. As if I was standing on the great land of Crystal Woods. I used to play there a lot with my brother when I was only a little elfling. There was a secret cave, we always hid in. My nenneth worried so much, when she couldn't find us. I had to force myself not to cry again from the memories. I took a shaky breath.

A tall figure moved in the shadow suddenly, at the opposite side of the water. He was watching me. I exhaled, and walked to him. The moonlight painted his red robes almost lilac, and his skin and hair white, as if he was a statue. I saw him so perfect at the moment. So noble. As unreal, as I was not that long time ago, in the mirror. Even if I could see, he was weak, and could have pain, for sure. He was holding a glass of wine in his hand, realxed, but as I arrived, his gaze landed on the silver mirror.

'I am glad you accepted my invitation' sounded his distant voice, and that was the moment, I glimpsed an ornate table, what was standing next to him. It was full of wonderful, exotic things, I didn't know, but I was sure, I would love. There was a strange red fruit on the nearest plate. I'd made my choice. I'd eat that firstly. Fort he Valar, I was truly, terribly hungry. But why this much food? We could not eat all of them even for the next week...

I finally noticed, he was staring at me. His face was unreadable. He didn't say a word, just looked. From head to toe. Then wrinkled his forehead.

'Lighter than the freshest snow' he whispered.

Excuse me?

'But her eyes' he touched my jaw, pulled it up very gently, and pierced his gaze into mine 'her eyes are just like stardust' I opened my mouth to ask him what he was speaking about. 'That bastard' he laughed, but I was sure, he was not amused. As I was just fire, he took his hand away, and stepped to the edge of the lake.

'My son told me, you had a very important part, in saving my life. I wish to express my deep gratitude' he bowed. 'I ordered my servants to move you to a chamber on the upper floor, where you will have everything you need. Of course, only if you choose that' he slipped one from his glass, still staring at the water.

Well, I was surprised. Very. 'Your... Highness' I bowed 'I-I am glad, you are in a good health again and I appreciate your kindness, but what I did was not a big thing, I just band-' I was interrupted by the elven king lifting his hand.

'Do not lie to me' he said on his deep voice, what made me silent. 'Legolas saw a blue light leaving your palm'

What? I didn't even know, I used magic.