۶ Moving Leaves

Noira's POV

Not again – I laughed. What the hell is this? Some kind of time paradox? I turned back slowly with a strange calmness in my heart. Irony is good. Irony is great. We all love irony, really. I didn't have enough energy, magic, power, whatever to save myself from another horde, but if I had to die here and now, I would use my precious blades for a last time, just for fun.

Strange. The thing in front of me didn't have an orcish body composition, but pointed ears and handsome face. And a new arrow, what met the tip of my nose.

'State your business, trespasser!' came his serious voice, while I was studying him. He was at least two meter tall, with long black hair and so light blue eyes... they seemed almost white. What a beautiful ellon.

'Where I'm from, we say good afternoon instead of arrows' I answered finally. Of course, it wasn't true. The ellon just stared at me for a while, like I was something extraterrestrial.

'State. Your. Business.'

He looked into my eyes deeply, what was a little uncomfortable, since I had a lot of things to hide. Should I say something about my business to him? I had to speak with somebody once, but it was not a good idea looking like a dangerous madman, when the other was holding a bow like this one. I was totally sure, he wouldn't understand a single word from my story. In this way, staying silent will do now.

My gaze didn't leave him. He was an elf, I saw it clearly. I found somebody from my race faster, than I hoped. The idea of my race existing in this world gave me an unexpected wave of joy, but I did not show it. Something was strange. Something...

Oh God!

I lifted my hand and touched his ear. 'Have you been punished? They've just cut your ears?' as I said frightened, he suddenly pushed my hand away with his elbow.

But... his ears were half of mine! Or... mine was too long? Is there an optimal lenght of ear for an elf? Ah, such a stupid idea!

'DO YOU WISH TO DIE, ELLETH?! – he roared, what took me back to reality. I was alone, but he was alone too. Against him... of course, I didn't want to die.

I grabbed my swords and with a sudden movement cut his bow in two pieces. He started to move for his knife, but my other blade touched his neck for then. As I could calculate, this ellon could be a great warrior, as I was, and I knew, if we fought, that would be probably until death. My other option was trying to use the mind freezing, as I'd done on the orcs earlier. That would have slowed him down and I could hide somewhere.

My eyes blocked his and I gently touched his cheek. I knew, by using this little spell, my power would be over. A little freezing sensation left my fingertips and after a mere second, his gaze softened. He was not moving anymore.

Let's go!

Before I could take my first step, I noticed moving leaves around us. The green patches in the near were changing their places slowly and then, I realised, we weren't alone. Four or five other ellons appeared from their hidden places. I opened my mouth to say I came in peace when they attacked me.

The last thing I wanted to do was killing my own kin. Why the hell couldn't we just speak as other normal creatures? Calm down, guys!

I started to run and did REALLY DAMN COMPLICATED – acrobatic movements to keep myself off from the elven arrows. I was comic. Until they finally run out. When they stormed to me with knives, I tried to end this fight quickly. And... peacefully.

°°

Some minutes later, the five peacefully knocked out ellons were lying in the soft grass. I needed to meet somebody, who probably didn't try to kill me, and could turn me to the right direction. More likely a lady, a landlord, or somebody with a little more knowledge, than these soldiers or orcs... I wanted to find a new home, somebody to talk to. I did not want to leave alone forever, especially, if I was attacked once in every hour, for God's sake!

I turned to the black haired guy, who were still standing on the place, I left him. I looked up at his blank eyes and stroked his shoulders. He blinked and shook his head immediately. Seemed like, ellons were more sensitive for my spells, than those dumb bastards.

'Hey handsome! I need to speak with your lord, so take me to him... please' I added and smiled '...if everybody's ready.'

His face went from totally confused to dark pink in a second, as he noticed the ellons, trying to sat up and find their weapons.

'Captain...' started one of them shamefully.

'Captain?' I blinked ' What kind of captain are you?'

After a deep sigh he answered 'Captain of the guard. My name is Fräynn.' and made a mere visible smile. I could admit, he was even more beautiful while smiling.

'And your name, trespasser? Why are you here at our borders? Where have you come from exactly?' bombed me with questions. I didn't even open my mouth to response, however, so his smile died finally.

'Introduce me to your lord, please. I promise, I'll behave.' and I reached my fists forward.

Fräynn's POV

'Captain!' one of my guards run to me panting as we made our checking in the forest. 'We discovered a new camp, a big one! More than a hundred orcs were there!'

I shivered. So close to the gates? It sounded like the war was nearer than we thought. We needed prepare for that. 'Thank you. The others?' I asked as stormed back to the direction of the palace. I had to warn the king immediately.

'They stayed to burn the dead' he shouted after me.

My foot stopped in the air 'The what?'

'All of them was lifeless, captain' reported to me and when I nodded, he started his way back to his group. I was thinking. They couldn't die suddenly from exhaustion, of course not. But I couldn't imagine, the spiders alone killed a bigger horde. It was just not possible. I wrinkled my forhead, as usual, when I was nervous. There was something else in the woods.

I was so lost in my thoughts, I nearly missed noticing a moving figure not so far from me. I grabbed my bow and followed him without a sound. Just when I was right behind him , I realised... An elleth?

I almost addressed her when I saw the two huge swords in her hands. Usually, our elleths didn't wear armor and use so... deadly weapons. She could be violent. Instead of my first idea, I sent her a welcoming arrow. Of course, just next to her. She immediately stopped, but didn't turn back toward me. Then I stepped to her and raised the bow to the head. I heard something.

Is she laughing?

With a turn, her nose met my arrow and I could study that face finally. Not familiar... well, nor usual.

'State your business, trespasser' I said, hiding my astonishment from her appearance.

'Where I'm from, we just say good afternoon instead of arrows...' sounded the unexpected answer. Are you insane?

I was just staring at her 'State. Your. Business.' I repeated, still holding my weapon at her face... for she was still holding her blades too.

She didn't say a word, so this discussion was more difficult, than I thought. Her face suddenly went frightened and she touched my ear. She said something, but I couldn't hear from the adrenalin, as pushed her hand away from me. Please, she was flailing near my head with a damn butcher knife!

'DO YOU WISH TO DIE, ELLETH?! – I yelled, and something gleamed in her dark eyes. The next thing I saw was my bow in two pieces. I nearly grabbed my knife when felt a cold blade on the bare skin of my neck. Not so lucky situation, when my mates were far from us.

Who the hell is this female?

I felt her fingers on my cheek, and that moment felt something cold entering my skin. I couldn't hear a sound anymore, my sight was blurry. I noticed, I dropped my knife, but then the time stopped passing.

It seemed only a moment, when I felt a pressure on my shoulders, and saw, something was different. My soldiers were on the ground. I stayed calm, but knew, if this elleth wished to kill me, I had little chance to win. I also remembered the dead orcs, but was afraid to ask her about them. And what had she just done to me?

Firstly, I asked her about herself, instead, but she refused to answer me. I thought it was a joke, when she finally asked me to capture her. She was the first one, probably the last one too.