Chapter Eleven- Happiness Hit Her

"I'm getting really tired of being at the hospital." I grumbled and shuffled around in my uncomfortable hospital bed.

Cole huffed and gave me a playful glare. "You and me both. Jay and Kai have been taking care of Devin and I'm not sure I trust them in our apartment." He scrunched up his nose and I slouched my head off to one side.

"There will be no food in the fridge when we get home. And who knows what color the walls will be." I grumbled and Cole stood and came to sit on the edge of the bed.

"I remember when you painted the wall in the Bounty. You got us all to help you and I'm pretty sure you went back afterwards and fixed some things." He shuffled to the side and laid his head in my lap and I played with his locks of hair.

I narrowed my eyes and shook my head. "You have no proof of that." I leaned over him and smiled. "You would stick your tongue out the side of your mouth when you were helping. You still do, I think."

He frowned and stuck his tongue out at me like a child. "Whatever. Remember that time we snuck you into Chen's for the tournament?"

I laughed and rubbed my face with a hand. "Yes! And you literally said, and I quote, 'I like your bathing suit.'"

"You looked cute!"

"But you were so awkward."

"The guys placed bets on us dating."

"And when we got back together, too."

"Wow. We really helped and hurt their wallets."

I laughed and for the first time in a long time, I was able to do so without pain or discomfort in my chest. The thought that this thing could be beaten made my heart soar and brought a smile to my face.

"Um, I was thinking the other day..." I started before trailing off.

"That tends to be a bad habit of yours."

I narrowed my eyes and sent him a mock glare before continuing. "I was thinking about how much I've survived." He sat up and met my eyes, suddenly a bit worried at how serious I had gone all of a sudden. My finger traced down the scar on my right arm and I diverted my gaze. "The fire at the monastery, the jump at Jay's house, getting Jay back from Jax..." I trailed off again and he picked my hand up and pressed a kiss to the back of it.

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts before continuing. "If I survived all of those things, then I have to beat this, too."

Cole cupped my face in his hands and pressed his forehead against mine. "You're a fighter. You've never given up, no matter what and you're going to beat this thing." He took a breath and closed his eyes. "Because I don't know what I'm going to do if you don't."

I took a sharp breath in and let it out slowly. "Don't say that. Ninja never quit, right?"

He laughed and pressed a quick kiss to my lips.

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"It's not a competition!"

I clung to Cole's arm as we made our way up the stairs to our floor in the base. He punched in the code before gently shoving the door open with his foot. I shuffled my way into our home, taking in a deep breath to take in my surroundings. I glanced at him and made my way through the doorway from the kitchen to the dining/living area and I slid to the floor, tears streaming down my face.

"Welcome home!"

"I hate you guys so much!"
My team stood around my couch with balloons and streamers and little funny hats (one on Devin as well), wide smiled adorned on every face.

I laughed through the happy tears and Jay and Nya swooped me up and into a hug. I clung to them both, holding them tight with all the strength I had before they retreated to give the rest of the team a turn at hugs.

Cole leaned against the doorway, a smirk playing at his lips. Lloyd, who had a detective looking hat on, bounced around the room and handed me a little cupcake he claims he had made this afternoon. Zane nodded his approval and gave a wink which I took to mean that he had some hand in the cupcakes thus making them safe for consumption.

Kai stood by Devin, who wore a pink cowboy hat, which Kai admitted to putting on the poor dog. Nya ran to a pile of hats on the table and placed a sparkly fedora on my head with a wide smile. Jay wore a unicorn headband, Zane a fluffy purple hat and Kai a fancy top hat. Nya wore a witch hat and was quick to throw a cat headband at Cole, who, with some grumbling and complaining, put it on eventually.

I smiled wide and my heart felt light and my lungs felt free. "Thank you, you guys. I'm so lucky that I'm stuck with you guys as friends."

"Well Cole said that you guys had too many cards and flowers so we opted for a hat party." Kai said and cast me a wink.

Jay bounced on the tips of his toes and nodded. "Yeah! It was Lloyd's idea!"

"Well thank you." I looked at my husband and smiled. "I'm sure I'll remember this moment."

I hooked the glittery hat on the side of our bed frame and snagged a piece of tape from the dispenser on the desk beside me. With a wide smile, I taped the picture of my team and I in our hats beside the others collected in the past years. I stepped back and gave a happy sigh, heart at peace knowing that no matter what happened, my family would always be there for me.

Sometimes with fun hats, too.