Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Is anyone?" She mumbles before starting to check my hearing device. I let her start the check-up and close the door before I decide to talk to her.

"I ended up in New York these past few months," I say, and her hands don't stall surprisingly. She doesn't respond to my comment either.

"I met some really interesting people while I was there," I continue.

"What, were you hanging out with some homeless people?"

"No, I was fostered by the Kerning family, who is friends with the Caspian family and relatives of the Winters," I say, and her hand does stall momentarily.

"I met this nice man named Alexander Caspian, and his appearance was so strikingly similar to yours it threw me into a tizzy," I say.

"Why are you telling me this?" She snaps, and I sit up and take the ice pack off of my face.

"Why would you fake your death, leave your family and career behind, to come and work for a place like this?" I ask her bluntly and I see the emotions rolling around in her eyes.

"I have no clue what you are talking about," she says in a monotone voice.

"Alexander knows that you're here, whether or not his brother and dad know, he never said," I say and her whole body tenses up.

"It wasn't my choice," she says softly.

"I didn't think it was, it certainly wasn't my choice to be here either," I say, and she still doesn't turn to look at me.

"If they know that I told you, we both could be killed," she says.

"I'm willing to take that chance, that wouldn't hurt you, just threaten you," I say.

"Why are you bringing this up, Faith?" She asks me, and my name sounds strange coming out of her mouth. She doesn't normally address us.

"I need you to do something," I say, and she spins around with anger in her eyes.

"Or rather, not do something," I say, and I can see the gears spinning in her head.

"The guards are going to break into a nasty brawl pretty soon, half-ass whatever medical care you would normally give them," I say.

"Why?" She asks me very skeptical.

"You don't want to know," I say laying back and putting the ice pack on my face.

"You're not planning to break out again, are you?" She asks me, and I hear how weary she is.

"Nope, not in the slightest," I say honestly.

"I want to put a new hearing device in for you, one that you can turn off when you use your supersonic screech. It will only be minor surgery," she says, and I just grunt.

"I have no say in the matter anyway, but thank you for the heads up," I say.

"Faith, I am asking you if you want it," she says and there is this edge to her voice that I can't figure out.

"I wouldn't mind," I say.

"Okay, I will set up the procedure for tomorrow, that will also give the rest of you time to heal," she says, and I just nod.

She checks on a few more things and switches out my ice packs eventually. I lay there dozing in and out of consciousness, the pain making it hard to fall asleep. Eventually, I do drift off only to be awoken by a banging on the door that jolts me awake and causes my whole body to throb.

"Come in," the Doc says in her normal cold tone.

"Is she good to go?"

"She's beaten up, her ribs are severely bruised, and I had to set her one wrist, it's not broken but heavily sprained. She's going to need at least a week to recuperate. I also want to change her earpiece, which is something I have discussed previously with the General. Have him visit me to discuss the details when he has a moment," she says to the guard.