love-ricky×nini

“Hey, can you help me get these off?” Ricky asked Nini. They were wrapping up rehearsal for the day which meant it was time for Ricky to take off his Lumiere hands. Ms. Jenn had insisted everyone rehearse with their character props as much as possible to make it look “natural”, which made sense but was also not entirely fair because while Ashlyn had to do rehearsal pretending to be a teapot and Carlos was a clock, Nini just had a hoop skirt and Seb sat in a roller chair the whole time. And being Lumiere meant Ricky was a candelabra and that he couldn’t get out of the prop without help. Fortunately, Nini had moved back from YAC and was willing to help him. She stood, undoing the straps that held the piece to his arm. “Thanks,” he said, shaking his hand as soon as it was free. “I didn’t know my arms could get this tired.” “You’ll get used to it.” Nini said absently, keeping her eyes on the Lumiere hands, which was taking her significantly longer to take off than usual. Ricky frowned. “Everything okay?” “I just wish I had a bigger part than Babette,” Nini shrugged. Ricky nodded. He knew it had been a hard decision for her to move back to East High after just a few weeks at YAC, even harder still knowing she’d missed Beauty and the Beast auditions and was given a part Ms. Jenn originally wasn’t going to include. “Yeah, I do too.” Ricky agreed. “But at least the scenes you do have are all with me! That’s fun, right?” Ricky put down his Lumiere “hands” to put his hand on Nini’s shoulder. He hated to see her down and was wracking his brain for anything that might cheer her up. “Yeah, that is pretty fun.” Nini smiled, then paused. “Is it type-casting that we keep getting cast as romantic opposites?”“And what does that even mean?” Nini was trying not to laugh. Ricky tried not to be too pleased at his success in cheering her up. Ricky thought for a moment: “No I think it’s just Ms. Jenn recognizing the Jason Mraz of it all.” He waved his hand absently.“I’m yours.” Ricky said simply. Nini looked at him, wide-eyed, so he continued: “She could cast me opposite anyone but its not gonna be believable unless I’m with you.” “Hmm I don’t know about that…” Nini hummed, moving closer to him. “You’re a pretty good actor.” “Yeah, well, I learned from the best.” He paused as she smiled at him then added: “EJ.” Fighting a laugh, Nini made an indignant noise and hit him in the shoulder, saying “Punk!” “Yeah, well, I learned from the best.” He paused as she smiled at him then added: “EJ.” Fighting a laugh, Nini made an indignant noise and hit him in the shoulder, saying “Punk!” Ricky laughed and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “I’m just kidding. I owe it all to you!” Nini rolled her eyes at him, but she was still smiling, so Ricky counted it as a win.

Word count:524