one more time-ricky×y/n

(Again to @ rickybown on tumblr Warning 18+)

“Thanks,” you murmured, eyes never leaving your textbook as you took the coffee cup from Ricky. Five hours of studying in the library. In any other circumstance, you and Ricky would’ve opted to study at either your house or his. But after the new step in your friendship, concentrating was harder. One minute, you’d be listening to Ricky’s thoughts on the subject at hand,At least you couldn’t jump onto each other in the library.the next you’d be making out on his bed, lips needy and moving quickly.You raised the coffee cup to your lips, feeling the hot steam on your skin before you took a sip. Peering past your book, your eyes landed on Ricky’s disheveled form. His hair, wild and completely messed up, was tucked under a dark green beanie you had given to him on his birthday. His black hoodie was pulled over his head, hoodie strings falling loosely down as he wrote in his notebook.“I got another set at the diner downtown.” You commented, eyes darting back to your book. You could hear him sit up, his chair creaking at every little movement he made.“You serious?” “Yeah. Apparently, they liked me so much they wanted me back,” you explained with a crooked smile.“They’d be stupid not to,” Ricky hummed, his comment making your smile wider as you looked down at your textbook.The words all felt jumbled up, mixed in a blender to the point where you couldn’t even read them. It was probably the exhaustion getting to you.Usually, your study dates went like this. You and Ricky, reading in comfortable silence while a few scattered conversations occurred. To you, it was important to have comfortable silences with friends.“Are your parents letting you go to Juilliard?” Ricky asked, breaking the silence in two and changing your mood almost immediately.You bit your lip, shaking your head firmly. Your parents were conservative and strict and had always set your sights towards med school or law school since you were born. But sometimes the most rebellious people come from the strictest parents. You wanted to pursue music — you had told them multiple times — but you knew you couldn’t. Not with them breathing down your neck.“What’re you doing?”The sharp voice of your mom made you freeze, all hope of going into the school now lost as you turned to her. Your dad stood behind her, his look almost as murderous as your mom’s.They had always been on the more conservative side.You shut your laptop quickly. “College applications,” you croaked out despite the feeling of sandpaper in your throat. “Gonna apply for Colombia. Just like I said,” you smiled forcefully, praying that your terrible lie would suffice against their looming look.“Give me the laptop,” your dad stated, walking into your room and holding his hand out expectingly. You stared up at him, eyes wide as you slowly shook your head. “Don’t make me take it from you.”“But,” you stammered, eyebrows furrowing and heartbeat picking up. “I wasn’t doing anything wrong.”Forcefully, your dad took the laptop out of your hands with one swift move. He opened it, the page not locked and protected by your password. He scrolled up, your impending doom hovering over you like an anvil waiting to fall. Then, he stopped.“Juilliard? The art school?” he questioned, voice hard as his eyes snapped to you. Your mom walked up behind him, peering at the screen. You could see the anger dawn over her face.You were in for it now.“They caught me writing my application,” you mumbled, flipping the page absentmindedly. “They yelled at me for hours; nothing new.”Ricky sucked in a breath, knowing fully well how much your parent’s words affected you. They were ruthless when it came to you. As an only child, you were their sole focus. But that came with consequences and blows to your self-esteem and your mind.You stood up, letting out a loud sigh and turning to the shelves of books around you. The need for a yet another book pissed you off, and you cursed quietly under your breath as your scanned for a book you needed. Your fingers toyed with the spines of the various books you passed, and you paused when you came to the shelves that most likely had your book.Light as a feather, Ricky’s kisses went down to your collarbone before climbing back up to your ear, where his breath fanned against your skin. “You need a break,” he mumbled, gently kissing at the skin under your ear. Hands crept around your waist, and almost immediately it sparked warmth on your skin. You could feel him kiss down your neck, and you automatically leaned your head back against his chest to allow him more access.You let out a shaky breath, feeling his hands under your shirt. You turned around, not even blinking before your lips met his. His hands picked you up, gripping your thighs and pushing you up against the tall shelves of the library.“No one’s in the library,” you breathed, a light moan leaving your lips when you felt Ricky bite down. “And that means?” Ricky asked, his voice sounding so sinfully innocent as he raised his face back up to yours.“It means,” you drawled, tugging the beanie off of his head and throwing it behind him. “We can be as loud as we want,” you whispered, the feeling of your lips against his ear sending chills up and down his body.“Or,” Ricky drawled on, grinding against you and watching you throw your head back in ecstasy. “Whoever makes a noise first,” he continued, helping you tug your shirt over your head. He took a second, mouth slightly agape as he looked you up and down. “Loses.”You hummed in agreement, pulling his sweatshirt over his head and letting it fall behind him. You kissed him passionately, locking lips as if your life depended on it. You took his bottom lip between your teeth, playfully pulling it as you pulled away. You let go, taking in the needy gleam in his eyes as you smirked. “I’m down.”Sometimes it shocked Ricky how passionate you were about singing.You had been singing for as long as he could remember. Your love for music was once a secret, hidden behind other hobbies like climbing trees or riding bikes up and down the neighborhood streets. It wasn’t until the seventh grade, when Ricky caught you singing in your treehouse with your guitar, did he realize just how talented you were.You had come a long way. From having Big Red and Ricky practically push you towards talent show tryouts to singing nervously in front of the whole middle school with a guitar that was a tad too big for your arms.You had stage fright then. The oh-so-bold and courageous Y/N was always rendered into a sputtering mess in front of crowds. You couldn’t perform in front of them, for you much rather loved watching Big Red and Ricky on stage.But as Ricky watched you play guitar for a small diner with people crowding in to see you, Y/N L/N, sing. He couldn’t help but beam at you from one of the closest tables from the stage.
Alongside him sat all your friends: Carlos and Seb, Big Red and Ashlyn, Gina, and even Ej. He found time in his busy schedule to see you sing.“You know, I never knew she could sing. Or play guitar,” Gina commented amongst all the commotion in their table, waves of agreement rippling through the group.“She had stage fright before,” Ricky explained, stirring his drink with his straw, Big Red nodding his head rapidly.“We basically peer pressured her into joining,” Big Red added with a grin, making everyone laugh.“She sang at the talent show in like, the eighth grade,” Ej added, his eyes set on you on the stage. Your eyes met his, a nervous smile on your face that you hid behind a thumbs up his way. Ej sent you one back with more confidence, and in a way it calmed you down.“Y’know, haven’t heard her sing since then,” Ashlyn commented, chin on the palm of her hand as she looked at you adjust your microphone with shaky hands.“Shush! It’s starting!” Carlos hissed, excitement evident as he scooted his chair in closer to the table and focused on you. Various shushes went through the group, along with childish lines of, ‘You suck at whispering,’ and ‘Shut up!’“Hey, I’m, uh, Y/N L/N,” you began, listening to the cheers scatter around you, the loudest coming from your group of friends. You beamed at them, their confident smiles settling your nerves as you let out a shaky breath. “I usually sing originals, but I’ve been procrastinating lately,” scattered laughs erupted from your crowd. “Here’s Best Part.”You cleared your throat, before plucking the strings on your guitar and beginning to sing. Your voice was soft, resonating in the diner like an echo.Ricky could see the nerves fade away as you began to play, your eyes shutting in content at the ecstasy singing gave you. It was odd, how much music affected your emotions in a positive way. “If she doesn’t get a record deal in the future I’m gonna be pissed,” Seb murmured loud enough for the group to hear, scattered sounds of agreement coming from them all as their eyes stayed on you.How could they tear their eyes away? You looked so simple, in a black long-sleeved shirt and a skirt that made your legs look amazing. That, paired with your guitar, made you a singing enigma for anyone who didn’t know you. “Speaking of guys,” Ej murmured, voice low as a conversation began between them all. His voice was only audible to Ricky, who sat behind him and turned to him with a confused frown.As the song came to an end, claps and cheers echoed through the crowd. You beamed, smile brighter than the stars. You almost let out a laugh at how loud your friends were, their cheers trumping over everyone and their claps loud.“How she doesn’t have all the guys after her is beyond me,” Ashlyn tutted, shaking her head to herself as she sipped her drink. “What?”“Is Y/N, you know,” Ej motioned with his hands, trying to signal subtly to Ricky. It took only a second for Ricky to understand, his eyebrows going up in realization.Since when did Ej like you? It surprised Ricky, but as he looked back on it, Ej always did have a soft spot for you. Not that he cared much; Ej was a good guy.“Seeing anyone?” Ricky finished with a cocked eyebrow. Since when was Ej interested in you? In retrospect, it made more sense; you had always been pretty close to him. “No, not that I know of,” Ricky answered, keeping the unholy thought of you in his bed literally two nights ago to himself. “Why?”“I dunno,” Ej mumbled, looking down sheepishly as he scratched the back of his neck.  “Just wondering. I mean after Luka, of course she decided to stay single.” His last sentences were quiet, more for himself than Ricky, but Ricky heard nonetheless.“You’re telling me that you’ve had that voice this whole time and you still didn’t try out for High School Musical: The Musical?” Carlos scoffed, feigning hurt while you only hugged him tightly.After your performance, you bowed one last bow to the crowd before you jumped off the small stage, making your way to your friends and letting out a laugh at their exclaims.“My stage fright would’ve gotten the best of me,” you remarked, the smile of your face never ceasing. You hugged Ricky tightly, his smile almost as wide as yours. He opened his mouth to compliment you before Ej shyly tapped you on the shoulder.“I was, uh, wondering if we can talk,” Ej said, his voice making the sides of your mouth turn down into a worried frown.“Sure.” You followed him to the side of the diner, away from the crowds and from your friends. You were unaware of your friends’ eyes on you and Ej, theories already popping up in their minds.“What do you think they’re talking about?” Big Red asked, nodding towards you and Ej conversing quickly. He seemed happy; you looked unsure. “Either relationship advice or actual problems,” Gina responded, sipping her drink as she spoke. “Or something else,” Seb added, eyeing the conversation as if it was a dramatic movie playing out in front of him.Ricky only watched on, curiosity bubbling in his chest as he watched you smile hesitantly and nod your head. Ej’s glowing smile grew, and he nodded to himself. You gave him another smile before turning to the group, smile falling when you saw their eyes on you.You both walked over to them, your movements hesitant and your eyebrows furrowed while Ej wore a satisfied smile.You all gave each other another goodbye, your hug with Ej lasting a second longer than usual before you walked out of the diner with Ricky by your side. He was always your ride when it came to your performances.“What was that all about?” Ricky questioned nonchalantly, breathing in the fresh night air as you walked to his car. “He wanted to tell me he liked me. He said he had liked me for a while,” you mumbled, voice blatant as you walked. You knew Ricky was looking at you, gauging for any kind of reaction, but you only kept your eyes ahead of you. “It was just something he wanted to get off his chest,” you shook your head. “I dunno.”
“I did,” you said, glancing at him. “It’s just,” your voice trailed off, the memories you blocked out of your own head coming back in waves. You sank into the seat of his car. “I’m not over what he did to me. How much he hurt me.”Nodding to himself, Ricky started up his car. Hey There Delilah started to play through his speakers, and you looked outside the car window as he backed out of the parking space. Your mood always deflated when it came to talking about relationships. Luka left you scarred in more ways than one.Ricky knew the friends with benefits agreement allowed you both to see other people. But what you didn’t cover was what would happen if you met the right one while having the agreement with Ricky. “Are you gonna go out with him?” Ricky found himself asking, eyes never leaving the road for fear of seeing you glare at him. But you didn’t glare like you usually did. You only shrugged, watching the buildings pass by. It was odd to feel so down when you felt like you were on top of the world not even 30 minutes ago.“I don’t think so,” you said, words unsure and hesitant. “I love Ej — I really do — but I don’t wanna ruin what we have. I know it’ll end badly.” You turned away from the side window, opting to watch the dark road ahead illuminated by the headlights.“You say that every time someone shows interest in you.”“You say the same thing,” you fired back, turning to him with a cocked brow as if you were challenging him to continue.Ricky shrugged sheepishly, eyes snapping to look at you for just a second before returning to the road. “Good point. But if he actually asks you to go out...” Ricky trailed off suggestively, making you snort in amusement and sink deeper into your chair.“That’ll be a problem if it actually happens. But for now,” you looked at him, managing a smile. “I have nothing to worry about.”

Word count:2647