104 - Home

Draco rapped his fingers nervously upon the table, his eyes glancing up at the clock.

The doorbell chimed just as the secondhand reached the twelve.

She was on time.

He shakily rose to his feet, taking a deep, steadying breath. He didn't know why he was feeling so nervous.

Even though it had only been three months; so much had changed. He had changed.

He left the kitchen, straightening his jacket as he walked down the cramped hallway to the front door.

It'll be fine, he told himself as his hand went shakily to the latch. She loves you, she won't judge.

He slowly opened the door, his heart instantly warming at the sight of the woman before him.

"Mother," he breathed.

*****

"Chalky!"

I looked up as Nova tottered delightedly across the room to our long eared friend, her arms outstretched as she clumsily crashed into him, sending them both toppling to the floor.

"Nova!" I cried, striding over to help them both back to their feet. "I'm sorry, Chalky, she just loves to see you so much."

"Chalky doesn't mind," the house-elf squeaked, warmly patting a gleeful Nova on the head as she flung her little arms around him. "Chalky always loves his Nova."

Nova showed her appreciation by offering him her half chewed, soggy biscuit, which Chalky happily accepted, depositing it in his mouth in one gulp.

My heart swelled as I watched the scene before me.

It had been three months since Harry had defeated Voldemort. Draco and I had immediately reclaimed our daughter from Shell Cottage, bringing her, and my mother back to my old Devonshire home which had lain empty for far too long.

We also invited Chalky to come and live with us whilst Hogwarts was in a state of repair; not forgetting the kindness he had shown us during the battle.

Hermione had been horrified until I reassured her that he was staying as a guest and not as a servant.

Much to the shock of almost everyone - this had actually been Draco's idea. He even converted the attic into a self contained living area for Chalky.

"I want to start being a better wizard; a better human being," he had explained, as I tried to hide my shock.

"You did that already," I assured him, cupping a loving hand to his cheek, "when you gave Harry your only means of defence during the battle. You showed everyone what a truly wonderful human being you really are."

It had given him the clearance from the Ministry, at least. In fact, they had tried to award him with a badge of bravery, but he had refused to accept it.

"I didn't do it for recognition. I did it for us." Draco explained to me when I voiced my surprise at him turning down a medal. "When I saw Potter wasn't dead, all I could think about was you, me and Nova. I would have done anything right then to make our future happen. And I'd do it again a thousand times over if I had to."