12 - Our Own Little World

I was floating.

"Rory, are you listening?"

I blinked. Cedric was waving a hand in front of my face.

"Sure, sorry - you were saying something about breakfast?" I said, stumbling around in my head, trying to remember what Cedric had been talking about exactly. I'm sure he had mentioned an egg.

"The clue!" He chortled as I gave a giant yawn. "Keep up, sleepyhead. Is that carriage of yours not very comfortable?"

The truth was I had barely slept at all. Draco and I had sat up in the Astronomy Tower all night, exchanging kisses and touches, just revelling in being together and having no one trying to keep us apart.

It had gone two o'clock in the morning by the time Draco had insisted on walking me back to the carriage as my head kept lolling sleepily onto his shoulder.

"I'd stay all night here with you if I could," he had assured me through my protests. "But look, you're freezing and you need to sleep in a proper bed."

It was true, it wasn't exactly warm up in the Astronomy Tower - and even with Draco's jacket and the small ball of fire he had conjured  up for us to sit by, my teeth were still chattering furiously as we huddled together.

But today was a new day, and I was sat at the Hufflepuff table looking anxiously up at the Slytherins, wondering if a certain white-blond boy was going to make an appearance.

It was lunchtime - everybody had slept in over breakfast due to recovering from the Yule Ball.

Fleur had crept into the carriage long after I had returned, waking me up as she stumbled and giggled her way to bed. As I had peered out of the window I could see a boy who certainly did not look like Roger Davies swaggering away.

"So, you were saying about the egg?" I prompted, wanting to stay away from the topic of last night before Cedric asked any awkward questions. "I thought you'd already worked out how it works?"

"Yes I have, but as I was saying, do you think I should tell Harry? He did help me out with the first task, after all."

I shrugged my shoulders, glancing back up to the Slytherin table. He still wasn't there.

"Sure, it would be nice to return the favour." I mumbled distractedly.

"But it's cheating though," Cedric agonised, "and I'm worried it could get me in trouble."

I sighed, turning my attention fully back on my brother. Cedric was always such a stickler for the rules.

"Harry didn't get in trouble for helping you, though," I reassured him, "and this isn't exactly the same, you are not telling him what the clue means - just how to hear it."

"Yeah," Cedric nodded, "yeah, you're right. I'll go tell him now."

Clattering his knife and fork down on his empty plate, Cedric stood up and wandered over to the Gryffindor table where Harry was sat with Ron and Hermione, all three of them looking rather gloomy.

I felt a pang of guilt at having ditched Harry the previous evening, but it soon dissipated when I recalled how vile he had been to Draco.

"I thought he was never going to leave."

My heart raced at the familiar drawling tones. I looked up over my shoulder to see Draco stood behind me, his silver grey eyes glinting down into mine.

"Where did you come from?" I asked, looking bemusedly back over to the Slytherin table.

"I had a late breakfast," he chuckled, "I was waiting for you out in the Entrance Hall, but judging by the amount of times you keep glancing over at the Slytherin table, I guess you've been waiting for me, too."