65 - Draco's Biggest Sacrifice

I blinked down at the green apple that had just been placed on the desk in front of me.

I gave a curious glance up at the gift giver.

"Mother once told me that she had bad sickness during her pregnancy with me." Draco shrugged, pulling his bag over his shoulder as he took the stool next to me. "This was the only thing she could stomach. Said they kept her alive whilst I was growing inside."

A small smile tugged at my lips, my heart swelling with such love at this sweet, thoughtful boy.

"It must take after you, then," I murmured quietly as I surreptitiously brushed the tips of my fingers over the back of his hand, causing his twinkling grey eyes to crinkle at the corners as he returned the smile.

Slughorn flounced in at that moment, marking the start of class. My hand instantly fell away from Draco's as we broke our gaze.

He looked better, I noted - the grey tinge gone from his porcelain white skin, as if he had finally managed to catch up on sleep.

I couldn't concentrate on what Slughorn was instructing, hoping that Draco was at least listening. His touching gesture with the apple made me want to cry.

Once Slughorn finished talking, and everyone got started on the lesson's potion making, Draco sidled up close to me after having fetched the ingredients, in the pretence of helping me cut up a Gurdyroot.

"I had to tell Pansy it isn't mine."

He whispered it so quietly, I wasn't sure if I had heard him right. I turned my head slightly to look at him. He had a grave look upon his face, his eyes cast downwards as he concentrated on the slicing actions of his knife.

"It's the only way to keep you safe." He continued not moving his eyes away from his busy hands. "If he thinks you're carrying Malfoy blood... Aurora, we can't take the risk."

I nodded, understanding. After all, that's exactly why Fred had given his offer. It just hurt my heart that we wouldn't be able to openly enjoy this together.

"I hate this," I whispered, closing my eyes.

A sudden wave of nausea passed over me and I had to hold on to the desk again to steady myself as the room span.

"Jesus!" Draco said, grabbing my arm and sitting me back down on my stool. "Sit! Let me do this. You eat your apple."

He grabbed it off the table and shoved it in my hand.

"I can't," I said, just the thought of trying to swallow food making me heave.

"Just try it, for me." He lowered his voice, his eyes looking at me imploringly. "For our baby. Please,"

I nodded, shakily lifting the apple to my lips.

It was like magic. As soon as my teeth cut through the hard, shiny green exterior and the sweetness of the juice hit the roof of my mouth; the nausea instantly vanished.

I opened my eyes wide in delight. Why hadn't I thought of trying an apple before? I hungrily ate the rest of it, my stomach suddenly dancing in joy, urgently screaming at my brain to eat faster.

Draco watched me devour it, an amused - yet delighted - expression on his face.

"You see?" He chuckled, as he turned back to the Gurdyroot. "Have a little more faith in me in future."

*****

"Fred Weasley?" Draco said, stopping his pacing to gape his mouth open in horror at Aurora.

They were in the Room of Requirement. Back in their room. A risky move, but Draco had been desperate to get Aurora somewhere where they could not be overheard so that they could discuss what they were going to do.

"He's willing to help us, Draco." Aurora sighed, wringing a hand through her hair as she sat on the edge of the bed, watching him. "Now is not the time for you to be getting all uppity about it."

"But a Weasley?"

"Would you rather I say it was a Potter?!" She asked, cocking an eyebrow up at him.

Draco winced.

"Fair point, I suppose." He murmured, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "Hmm... at least Pansy is less likely to be suspicious this way. No one would ever believe I'd ever agree to a child of mine be known as a Weasley."

Aurora rolled her eyes, but he didn't miss the amused smirk twitch at her lips. And in that moment he felt such a rush of love for her.

"I do love you, you know." He said, reaching down for her hands and pulling her to her feet. His arms went around her waist, gathering her to him as he nuzzled his face in her hair.

He could feel the small mound of her bump between them. She was still so small, but it would soon become more noticeable.

He felt apprehensive for her. People would start asking questions and very possibly make nasty and hurtful remarks, and he hated that he wouldn't be able to stand by her side and defend her.

"Lay down with me," she whispered, the tickle of her warm breath making him shiver.

He didn't need asking twice. Together, they crawled onto the bed, and he felt his body immediately relax against hers as their limbs entwined, holding one another tightly.

"Let's stay here forever," his voice hoarse as he cupped her cheek and began to pepper light, feathery kisses all over her face.

"I want nothing more," she said wistfully, releasing a heavy content sigh as he caught her lower lip in his teeth, nibbling at it deliciously.

It took him a moment to realise she was crying. Silent tears were cascading down her face. He released her lip and wiped her cheeks with his hand, drying her tears against his skin.

"I'm scared," she trembled, squeezing her eyes shut against a fresh wave of tears. He held her tight as she shuddered against him, sobs wracking her body.

"Aurora," he murmured, his heart breaking for her. "It's going to be all right. I'll be here with you even when I can't show it, I'll always be here for you. And our baby."

He had to hold on to the hope that one day this would all be over. That he, Aurora and their child could somehow be together happily somewhere in the future.

Hope was all he had left. And in the meantime he would do anything to keep Aurora safe. He would marry Pansy. He would murder his own headmaster. He would jump off a fucking bridge himself if he thought it would ensure her safety.

Draco swallowed as he thought of the biggest sacrifice he would have to make.

He would even agree to let people believe his kid was a Weasley.

That's how much he loved her.