76 - Never Be

It was like having Draco back.

That first night he stayed, getting up with Nova every time she cried, passing her to me so I could feed her, and then watching us with such love in his eyes.

And as soon as she fell back asleep, he would place her back in her cot, and join me back in bed, wrapping me in his arms, making me feel so wonderful and loved.

"I can't stay every night," he said sadly when we awoke the next morning, "I've got this task to complete. I- I have to do it I'm afraid."

I didn't miss the way his eyes flicked to the dark ink on his left forearm and my heart twisted at the sad and frightened expression upon his face.

"Draco, all I need to know is that you're doing everything to keep yourself safe." I said, placing a hand to his cheek and looking up at him intently.

"Everything but this," he said huskily, leaning down to brush his lips against mine.

I felt desire pool in my stomach as he began to kiss me deeply, his hand scooping up my hair and clutching the back of my head.

A small cry made us break apart and, without hesitation, Draco got up to fetch Nova from her cot.

"It's lucky you're so cute," he said kissing the top of her head as he cradled her to his chest. "Daddy wouldn't forgive just anybody for interrupting kisses with Mummy."

"Nothing gets in the way of this girl and her food, I'm afraid." I laughed as he climbed back onto the bed, passing Nova to me.

He draped an arm around me and kissed my shoulder as I pulled up my vest to allow Nova to feed.

"I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing you feed our child," he murmured, pulling me closer to his side.

"Well, she's certainly good at it," I smiled, looking up into Draco's twinkling silver eyes. "Which is lucky as it makes feeding between classes a lot easier."

"You're amazing, you know," he breathed, nuzzling his face in my hair. "Doing all this. I wish I could do something to help you, to make life easier for you."

"You are helping, Draco." I assured him. You're here, loving me. That's all I need."

It was just for a fraction of a second, but I felt him still.

"Draco?" I asked, looking up at him fearfully.

"Aurora, I'm always loving you, but I may not always be here." He said sadly, his voice full of regret as he clung to me a little tighter and cradled a hand upon the head of our feeding daughter.

I closed my eyes against the familiar pain that crashed over me.

The pain of knowing that Draco could never be mine.

******

Draco hurled his wand at the cabinet where the dead bird lay, and sank to his knees, letting out a strangled cry of frustration.

It was no fucking use. He couldn't do it. And time was almost up.

Voldemort was going to kill him and his mother if he hadn't succeeded by summer.

The big party that Pansy kept harping on about was either going to be their engagement party or his funeral.

He didn't know which was worse.

And would he be able to do it, he wondered. When it came to it - would he be able to kill an innocent man?

He thought of his daughter and of Aurora, wishing he could be with them up in the room.