6 - Furtive Flushes

I went running into Cedric's arms the second I spotted him.

"That was quite an entrance, Rory!" He chuckled, ruffling my hair affectionately.

"Have Durmstrang arrived yet?" I asked, shivering. I was stood in my light silk robes which although was pretty, was not ideal for Scottish weather sans cloak.

"No, not yet," Cedric said, slipping his own cloak off and wrapping it around my shoulders. "Did you forget how cold it is over here?"

"Oh, I remembered," I muttered dryly, "just that Madame Maxime wanted us to arrive in style."

As much as I loved our headmistress, she could be exceedingly vain.

We all watched as Durmstrang emerged from the lake. There was great excitement when Viktor Krum stepped out onto the grounds. He looked ever so grumpy though.

"Come on, Rory," Cedric said as we all started milling into the castle for our welcome feast.

I looked around in awe. Of course, Cedric had told me all about Hogwarts but seeing it in front of me for the first time was surreal.

I was so busy staring up at the enchanted ceiling upon entering the Great Hall that I clumsily walked smack bang up against someone's chest.

"Oh - sorry!" I gasped, tilting my head back down. My breath hitched in my throat as I stood face to face with a white-blond haired boy, his eyebrow cocked amusedly.

"Why is it," he drawled lazily, his silver grey eyes glinting, "that whenever someone walks into me, it is always you?"

I found myself blushing as his eyes seemed to penetrate mine. "I- I'm sorry, I was just admiring the ceiling." I stuttered pathetically.

A smirk twitched at his lips, almost as though he was enjoying the effect he was having on me.

"Yes, it is rather stunning, I have to admit."

I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks as his gaze never left mine. My pulse accelerated at an alarming rate and I was briefly worried I might not be able to breathe.

"You better not be giving my sister trouble, Malfoy!"

I jumped slightly as Cedric came up behind me, glaring daggers at Draco.

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of it," Draco murmured, not taking his eyes away from mine. And I felt those butterflies take flight again. "Enjoy your stay, Aurora."

He smirked up at Cedric before stepping around me and disappearing into the crowd.

"Git," Cedric muttered, ushering me towards one of the long tables. "I'd stay well away from him if I were you. The Malfoy's are nothing but trouble."

I didn't answer, instead taking a seat next to a ginger haired Hufflepuff who introduced herself as Susan. I couldn't stop thinking about the way Draco Malfoy had said my name. Aurora.

I would do anything to hear it upon his lips again.

...

It wasn't until my eyes drifted over to the Gryffindor table, and I spotted Harry Potter sat between Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, that I recalled how cruel Draco Malfoy had been in the woods at the Quidditch World Cup.

My heart plummeted in dismay. What was I thinking - getting giddy about a boy who was capable of maliciously taunting Muggle-borns?

And not to mention the dark connections his family have to the very people that killed my mother.