"I'm sorry, what?" I asked in a high-pitched voice.

The servant shuffled nervously behind Aergia.

Aergia held my gaze. "As I said, you are in the Underworld. I have received an order by the Underworld Crown to keep you here until your collection date, so it is in your best interests to take me seriously."

Underworld Crown? Collection date? Oh God, I was having another dream. It was the only explanation. There was no way anyone could have eyes as dark as hers, unless she'd forgotten to take out her contacts after Halloween...

"Follow me," she instructed, leading the way out of the room and down the hallway that stretched on endlessly.

I wanted to stay until I was given proper answers, but my body began to move on its own accord and trailed behind Aergia, like a puppet being forced to walk. My heart jumped up into my throat – I couldn't make myself stop! Every movement I made was mechanical and calculated. Aergia was walking quickly ahead of me, but the servant looked downcast at my frantic expression.

"What are you doing?" I demanded, glaring at Aergia's back.

"I'm moving you," she said in a bored tone, "I hardly thought you'd move on your own."

"So, you're controlling me?" I asked, even though my own question didn't make any sense to me.

"Yes," she said, a smile sounding through her tone. "I am the Goddess of Sloth City, so it is within my power to control others if it benefits me."

"Goddess? Sloth City? You're not making any sense–"

Aergia cut me off. "Let me explain everything and then you can ask your questions. You are in the Underworld–"

"-you mean Hell?" I blurted.

"Didn't I just say you can talk when I finish? Do you want me to take away your speech, too?"

I kept my mouth shut.

"Good. As I was saying, you are in the Underworld, for what purpose, I have no idea. However, I have received strict instructions from the Crown – that is, Hades and his court – that you are to be taken to their location under strict supervision." Aergia raised an eyebrow at me. "Somehow, a human like yourself has captured the attention of Hades. I wonder why..."

I opened my mouth and closed it like a fish, completely gobsmacked. My mind was still trying to tell me that this was all a dream; after all, I hardly believed in an afterlife and here I was being controlled by a woman telling me I was in hell. 

It hit me that perhaps this all wasn't a figment of my imagination. Scarily enough, despite nothing making sense, everything felt completely real. And as much as it didn't feel like it, I was in charge of my emotions and thoughts – that certainly wasn't possible in my dreams. But admitting this was real would be admitting I was in Hell–

"I think there's been some mistake," I said, panicking. "You've picked the wrong person. I haven't done anything even remotely bad in my life. I mean, when I was five I accidentally stole a lollipop, but that was only because I thought my father had paid for it! And I've always gotten good grades at school–"

"Shut up," Aergia said. The chilling sensation of her control spread through me and up to my mouth, preventing me from speaking. My mind was telling me to talk, but there seemed to be no more connection between my mouth and brain. My panic rose even further.

If Hades was real....I could hardly imagine what would be awaiting me if I was to be taken to him. After all of dad's stories about his morbid and dark behaviours...