Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

I did not listen to that inner voice.

"Oh, my gosh. Do you even hear yourself? Like are you actually hearing the words that are coming out of your mouth? You sent a wolf to kill me, Jennifer, and you're bothered because I won't forgive you for that?"

Apart from Kasey, I knew Jennifer better than anyone, so I knew that was not the reason she was so bothered by my silent treatment. She was not outraged over the unfairness of me forgiving Kasey for keeping her family secret from me. Jennifer was upset because she could not comprehend why her apology was not enough. In her world, 'sorry' fixed everything.

There was no learning from her mistakes, understanding through self-reflection of what she had done wrong in the first place, nor any actions to go along with her apology. Just the two words she would force herself into saying when she believed it was what people wanted to hear.

"I just don't want you to hate me."

I don't know why or how, but it was like a light had been switched off immediately after her words. I say 'off' because deep within me all I felt was darkness.

"Why? Hate would mean that I still feel something towards you, and wouldn't you rather that than me not feeling anything at all?" I stepped closer to her, the space between us almost non-existent. "Because when I stop feeling anything at all is when you should truly be worried."

I did not know if it was what I had initially set out to accomplish, but when I saw fear flash within Jennifer's eyes a part of me felt satisfied. Some part that wanted me to be meaner, whispered for me to say something worse just to see if that fear would intensify. Maybe it was the years and years of resentment I had built up towards Jennifer finally coming out of the shadows.

"What's going on?"

And just like that—and because it's the only way that I can describe it—the light switched back on.

Jennifer and I both turned our heads to look at Kasey's approaching figure, only she wasn't alone. Beside her was a hunter that had been called in to join us at the cottage. Her name was Emily, she was a fellow hunter Kasey had met while out in BC, and one of the few that had watched over my grandmother after we found out that the pure bloods had been watching us.

As soon as she reached us, Kasey set her gaze on me first. "Ava-Rain?"

"It's nothing."

"Well, it looks like something." Her gaze shifted in Jennifer's direction. "Jennifer?"

"I just thought that we should talk like you suggested."

Kasey shook her head and crossed her arms. "I distinctively remember telling you to let her come to you when she was ready, though."

And, of course, she ignored you because Jennifer only hears what she wants to hear.

"I'm going to head back to the house," I said and started to make my way.

"Ava-Rain," just as Jennifer had done, Kasey grabbed onto my arm as I tried to walk past her. But seconds later that same hand had slid down into mine. "Look, I'm not saying what Jennifer did was right or that you should forgive her. That's your choice and only yours to make, Ava-Rain. But I do think you two should talk. Don't do it for her, do it for yourself. You owe it to yourself to tell her how you feel."

"I think Kasey's right," Emily chimed in. "It's always a good idea to get things off your chest. You know, before it's too late."

What the hell was that supposed to mean?