Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

The hunters I could deal with; they were my family, after all. It was Jennifer that I wasn't too sure about.

"Kasey's looking for you."

Speak of the devil and he—she—shall appear.

And another reason why no reception sucked. What a text could have achieved at a much faster rate was now reduced to actual human interaction and face to face conversation.

Instead of turning around to acknowledge Jennifer's presence, I stayed seated in my spot on the docks and continued to stare out over the water. Other than the rippling of water every time the midday breeze blew over the lake, there was nothing in particular to hold my attention. But pretending that there was seemed much more appealing than pretending that she and I were okay.

We weren't.

And the lie that she had just told was one of the many reasons why we would probably never be okay.

If Kasey wanted me she would have come out and found me herself, not send the girl I had been ignoring from the moment Gray had dropped her off at the den, and continued to ignore for the past two days up until thirty seconds ago. Jennifer was lying because Jennifer only ever did things that benefited Jennifer, no matter who she used or hurt in the process of getting her way.

"Did you hear me, Ava-Rain?"

Clearly, she wasn't going anywhere any time soon, so, after releasing a deep sigh, I gave in. "What do you want, Jennifer?"

"I. . ."

Her pause only further proved the fact that I had, indeed, caught her in a lie.

Surprise, surprise.

"I just. . .want to talk."

I didn't want to talk to Jennifer. It wasn't because I didn't know what to say. In fact, I had a lot of things that I wanted to say. But talking meant that I would have to be around her, and being around her meant that I would have to look at her. And I just did not want to see her.

I did not want to have to look into her eyes and see the last fifteen years of our friendship staring back at me. A friendship defined by many highs and just as many lows.

I did not want to be reminded of the girl that I once was, who would have done anything for the best friend she once looked up to.

"I don't think we have anything to talk about."

After a final glance over the water, I stood up and turned to walk back towards the cottage. But just as I walked past her, she grabbed onto my arm.

"Why? Why can you forgive Kasey but not me?"

"Let go," I warned, "while I'm asking nicely."

I looked at Jennifer then. Not because I wanted to engage with her, but to ensure that she not only saw but remembered the calmness in my eyes so that she could not cry foul later were it to turn into a storm.

It took her longer than necessary, but she did eventually let go of my arm. But Jennifer still had no intention of letting me leave when she continued to speak. "Why was her lie okay and mine not worth forgiving?"

Don't respond, Ava-Rain.

Just turn around and walk away.

Put as much space between you and her before you do something you might regret like pushing her into the damn lake!