Bulletproof

There are 8 people are sitting in a circle of chairs all facing one another.
The chairs are about 3 feet apart and everyone but one person seems to be sitting awkwardly in their seat. Fidgeting with their hands or the ends of their clothes, biting their nails or lips while desperately trying to avoid eye contact with anyone in the room. Tension is high.

"Hello everyone, and welcome to Bulletproof. I just briefly wanted to go over what we are all about. Bulletproof was created by me to be a safe space for anyone who needs it. The name means that as long we are together, we can fight off pain and defend one another from the hardships and struggles of life. Each and everyone one of you have a different background and story to tell. I just want to make sure everyone understands that you are not weak for seeking friends and help. Strong people know when they have reached their limit and need to get a little support. Nothing in this group is to ever leave this group. Everyone is welcome here and no one is shamed, guilted or judged for anything that is said or done within these four walls." A beautiful young woman says as she smiles at the people in the circle.

"I suppose I should introduce myself before asking any of you to do so. My name is Althia. I don't really want to make this all about me but I feel like you all deserve and explanation of who I am and why I started this group. Let me start this by saying I am no therapist. I don't have a license and I don't have clinical knowledge. But I do have experiences and stories to tell. I had a very close friend once. She was in so much pain for so long and I never knew it. She never told me, and I never knew until they day that she killed herself. I blamed myself for such a long time. I thought to myself, 'if only had paid more attention, if only I had been a better friend...' but the truth is she was just so alone and scared.

I was her only friend and I was so important to her that she couldn't bear the thought of disappointing me or giving me stress. So she struggled alone until she couldn't anymore. I was so hard on myself for many years after her death. I blamed myself for everything and treated myself so poorly. It wasn't until after two years of suffering on my own that I decided that something in our world needed to change.

It wasn't fair that people had to suffer alone because of the stigma of mental illness. Everyone told me to just "be happy" like it was that easy, they dismissed all the pain and sadness in my heart like it just needed to die alongside my best friend. Like her death was meaningless and without a cause, just a tragic accident. It was no accident. Her problems and pain mattered just as much as mine and anyone else's who is suffering. So, I took it upon myself to do something about it. To start a movement for change. And thus, this group was born. Created to be a safe haven for those who are struggling and don't want to be alone anymore, but have no idea where else to turn where they will be safe and supported."

Althia clears her throat and blinks a few stray tears away in remembrance of her beloved lost friend.

"With that said, shall we begin by jumping straight into it then? If anyone is feeling comfortable enough after that to start please go right ahead, you can start with your name and why you are here perhaps."

After several seconds of awkward silence while everyone stares at each other with an unhappy face a young guy with big brown, doe-like eyes rubs the back of his neck with one hand and clears his throat before speaking.

"Uhh, okay so...I guess I can start. Hi, my name is Jungkook and I suffer from what most people would call OCD, but really I think I just I have a problem with perfectionism. I tend to overwork myself to the point that I end up passing out. Sometimes, I go days without sleep and I often get so focused on perfecting whatever it is that I'm doing that I forget to eat and sleep...so yeah that's all I'd like to share right now." He says with a nonchalant shrug.