Chapter 23: Flames in the Cold

...

Flames in the Cold

...

Elizabeth threw her arms around his neck. "Thank you, Ciel, for this ball!"

Ciel patted her on her back. "Alright. Just promise me that there will not be another ball during Christmas."

Elizabeth pulled away with a pout which fell away into a laughing smile when he raised an eyebrow at her. "Of course, like I promised!"

"Good," he nodded,"You better get going before your brother come after me. It's already very late," Ciel led her towards the opened door of her carriage home.

Elizabeth giggled. "Don't worry, I'll make sure Edward doesn't," she said with another laughing smile, "Good night, Ciel!" She pulled him into a hug before releasing him. "Let's go, Paula," she spun around to face the carriage behind her and climbed aboard.

Paula bowed to him."Good night, Earl."

"Ah," Ciel nodded.

A tiny smile at him, she entered the carriage and pulled its door towards her before she entirely disappeared out of sight behind it.

He watched the vehicle trudged off, and turned away with a sigh when it was finally out into the street and gone.

...

His entrance hall was almost emptied of his guests when he proceeded back in.

"It was a lovely party, Earl."

Ciel swivelled his head to the deep voice to see one of his guest and a woman who he noticed to be smiling at him, he didn't fail to catch the look of admiration on her face. However, it was something he didn't find new or pleasant. Instead, it gave him this twinge of annoyance. People like these were just putting up these fronts because of his reputable status and his wealth, and that was so apparent.

"Thank you." He nodded, with forcing a smile. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was my pleasure holding this ball."

"Will there be a ball this coming Christmas?"

Not a chance.

"Probably. You'll find out when I send out the invitations," Ciel said blandly.

"Gosh!" He snapped his head to the woman with a raised eyebrow as he watched her turn to the man. "He is one handsome young man, isn't he? So perfect for Anastasia!" she gushed.

The man nodded at her knowingly when she mouthed two words which Ciel recognized to look like 'ask him'. The man turned back to him, clearing his throat. "Anastasia is my daughter's name. I would like you to meet her one day. When are you free?"

He grew more annoyed. If it was not for his family name, he would have rolled his eyes at that question. "I already have a fiancé."

The couple exchanged looks before the man turned back to him with a sheepish look. He waved dismissively. "I...I didn't mean it that way, Earl..." A strained smile crept across his face. "I meant as...friends. You would probably take a liking in Anastasia; she's a nice girl-"

"I apologize, but my hands are full," Ciel interrupted,"Maybe when they're no longer," he shrugged offhandedly, "It's late now. Please take your leave, have a safe trip. Good night," he dismissed rudely.

"Dear," the man who was scowling upon hearing the blunt dismissal, turned to his wife," He must be tired from the party and the talking. I am too. Let's head home, shall we?" The woman nodded at Ciel who returned the gesture, feeling somewhat grateful toward her.