The First Shall Be the Last

POV-(Y/n):

     It's been a while since I've seen the dry plains of New Austin. It was slightly cooler since the disaster in Blackwater, but still hot. The tan grass blowed gently in the breeze as herds of wild bison grazed on the land. It was all so majestic.

Not that I could enjoy it much. We were still wanted Dead or Alive in Blackwater and the rest of the entire state of New Austin. There were police officers everywhere and bounty hunters wherever there wasn't police. Using the main roads were out of the question. I'm not afraid of a gunfight but...the idea is to avoid detection. I had to take a creatively improvised route around the shore and up the cliff to pass by unnoticed.

     As I continued to ride through, I eventually got back up to higher ground to see Arthur, Charles, and Javier all on a vantage point looking through binoculars. I hopped down off my horse and walked over, taking a seat next to them.

     Javier: How many?

     Charles: A lot. Uniforms everywhere.

     Javier: You see Sean?

     Charles: No, I don't think so.

Javier: Damn it, where's Trelawny?

Charles: Who knows.

     Arthur: Where is that little Irish bastard?

     Charles: I'm not quite sure, Trelawny's off trying to find out.

     Arthur: Has anyone been into Blackwater to see how things lie?

     (Y/n): I'm curious too, but that seems like suicide.

     Javier: You're right too. Place is crawling with Pinkertons, Bounty Hunters, pictures of Dutch and Hosea. Lotta pictures of Corrin and you too, people are still scraping blood off the floor from all the damage you two did.

     He lightly bumped me in the shoulder as a compliment.

     (Y/n): I suppose I'll take that as a compliment, anything that makes it harder for the Law and the Feds.

Arthur: You did well, but we've got a lotta money sittin' in that town.

Charles: And that's where it's gonna remain, for now.

Arthur: Why haven't they hanged Sean yet, I wonder.

Charles: I think he's bait, or they want to trial him publicly.

     Trelawny walked up quietly and took a seat next to Javier.

     Trelawny: Gentlemen. Sean is being moved up the Upper Montana, then to a prison out west.

Arthur: Damn. Well we can't afford to be rescuing people from some Federal prison. We either gotta rescue him now or...cut him loose.

Charles: We're not cutting anyone loose.

Arthur: Of course not.

Trelawny: Ike Skelding's boys are moving him to a camp nearby before handing him over to the government.

Arthur: So I guess, we need to stop them before they get to camp. Charles and (Y/n), why don't you head up on the north side and we'll head up on the other side of the valley and meet you that way we have them in either direction. Javier, Josiah, come on. Let's go see.

Charles and I separated from the group and I've got to admit, I was very excited. I like Charles quite a bit, he's very interesting to me. Quiet, reserved, intelligent but with one hell of a mean streak when he needs it.