Chapter Twenty-Two: Religion

"It's human, it's our religion
No preacher to teach us to love
Two bodies, one vision
No one's watching over us

We've been talking on the telephone for hours at night
Whilst I've been thinking about kissing you
I wanna consecrate your body, turn the water to wine
I know you're thinking about kissing, too."

-Shura (Religion)

Alexei:

Milena nudged my inner rib and I grunted loudly as I stood awkwardly at the door of Dr. Kae's office, not wanting to go any further in than I already was. Kae was so focused on reading her book, she hadn't noticed both our presence until she heard the assault that my sister had carried out on me.

Dr. Kae looked up curiously and frowned when she noticed it was me.

It had been like that for a couple of weeks, it was as if my presence was ultimately a nuisance to her. She didn't even try to hide it after a while. Her dismay with me was quite evident, I didn't even bother going to any "therapy" sessions with her. I wouldn't admit it, but her demeanor changing scared me a little. I was afraid she would say something I necessarily didn't want to hear.

Fuck what was I even saying?

I'm Alexei Vasiliev, the mafia boss of his Bravata. The fuck I look like being scared of a 5'6 surgeon with an attitude problem?

She did reject you flat-out at the club and you're butthurt. I could hear my mind taunting me.

And unfortunately, it was right.

I didn't feel completely "there" after that day. I couldn't even focus on torturing the dude we had managed to capture from the unknown team of assailants who tried to attack us. He ended up being completely useless to us, whoever these men were working for was probably a big enough deal that they themselves didn't know who they were working for at the end of the job; so I had no choice but to end his life after hours of torturing him.

Waste of time.

Kae's eyes brushed over to Milena who was standing beside me with a bright smile on her face.

That minx, she came storming into my office randomly yesterday and demanded I apologized to Dr. Kae. She was fuming, apparently, our lovely doctor snitched on me and told her exactly what happened in the bathroom of the club. Now here I was... apologizing.

Not out of my free-will.

"Is there something I can help you both with...?" Kae said after a prolonged silence between us.

"Yes! Actually, you can Kae...my brother here has a few words to say to you." She pushed me harder this time causing me to walk further into the room.

I shot her an annoyed look and she glared at me, daring me to fight back with her.

She nudged me again so I could begin.

"I am here to apologize that you felt offended by my actions—."

"That's not what I fucking told you to say!" Milena shouted to me in Russian.

"The fuck am I supposed to do if she's the one that felt offended!" I argued back with her in our native tongue. Milena's eyes narrowed to almost slits against her face. "I swear to God, Alexei..." She threatened me.

I huffed knowing exactly what was coming next if I didn't comply.

Why didn't I leave her in Russia with our mother if knew she was going to be this annoying?