CHAPTER 22: Gunner

When we heard that one gun shot right before leaving, I knew that Ferris was dead. After he had told us about what he had done, neither me or Arya were upset with him because we had really believed that he didn't know. 

Wait though. That doesn't make sense because he knew who Joshua was. Although he never saw what he looked like. So maybe he saw from my computer a photo of him? Also, what was with him and the gun?

Right before I could think anymore, we pulled up to the place my Director wanted us to meet him up at and standing to each side of him along with several others standing around in half a circle at a stance leaning back up against their cars were agents. 

Both Arya and I got out and began walking towards them. 

"Sir." I greeted Director Healey. 

"gunner, Arya." He nods. 

"Ferris is dead." I tell him. 

Healey looked surprised but yet, also not and I think was being sympathetic more on my behalf. 

"I'm truly sorry." He tells me. 

"Yes well, apparently he saved our lives." I tell him. 

"That might be so but, it's because of Ferris that you both almost got killed today. And maybe he grew a conscience towards the end but he wasn't at all the guy you thought you knew." He states. 

I began to get upset because here my best friend had gotten shot and yet Healey's talking shit practically about the guy who just saved mine and Arya's lives who I thought of as a brother. 

Then again, I guess I can't really deny or brush off entirely what he's saying right now because CLEARLY he knows more about him than I ever did. 

"Then explain it to me." I tell him with my arms now crossed over my chest. 

He looks at me, takes in a deep breath and lets it out before beginning. 

"Your friend had a whole other life apparently that you didn't know about as of a few years ago. Every time you would go out on an assignment or he supposedly would go away for a week or so for a so called, 'conference/seminar' or even interviews to selling his ideas online. He really was working for Carlton Wilkins. One of the few we are trying to take down. Then, a few nights ago at a bar, he had met up with Joshua and one of the undercover agents that I had hanging around all over waiting for Joshua's appearance here, they got to talking and apparently, one of our men had overheard their conversation with Ferris agreeing to have Joshua go and get her. He was willing to pay Ferris several million dollars of unmarked bills." He finishes. 

I was completely floored after hearing him tell me that. I couldn't believe that after all these years that I knew him and we had become best friends, not to mention that as an FBI agent, I never noticed something like this, I feel like a terrible friend but am suddenly feeling sick to my stomach a little bit.

"I don't believe this." I voice. 

"Look, I'm sorry that I had to tell you about him, including right now, but we didn't even know about this until that night at the bar and the agent had phoned me telling me about what he just saw and that one of them was Ferris. That's when we had to look up his history and found out what we did." He says with sympathy in his eyes. 

"But he saved our lives." I repeated. 

"Which is why I thought that maybe he had a different change of heart towards the end in telling you after I was telling you that you needed to get away from him." He says. 

I couldn't believe that all of this was happening and that Ferris had done what he did. However, right now I don't have time to think about all of that. We needed to come up with some way to take Joshua down. 

"You alright?" I hear Arya say to me while gently placing her hand on my shoulder. 

I just looked at her and smiled while nodding in assurance then looked at Healey. 

"Okay, So now what do we do about Joshua and taking him down? What's the plan?" I asked. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)