Groceries, Errands & Lies Oh My

I woke up at 6am the next morning. I hopped into the shower washing away the memories of yesterday.

Eleanor Collins.

The name echoed throughout my mind. I got ready and quickly unpacked all of my items. I filled out the closet and dresser with all of my clothes. My few toiletries lined the cabinet shelves. 

Glancing throughout the apartment, I made a mental checklist of the things I needed to buy. Satisfied, I made my way out of the building.

First stop was to drop by the school. They were expecting me as I still needed to fill out some paperwork and take a tour of the classroom. The people there were kind, as I expected of a normal school teacher. They easily fell for my American accent and naive personality. 

Once that was settled I headed over to the department store. I picked out a few things - more toiletries, makeup, perfume, lotions, scented candles... that was the kind of person Eleanor Collins was. 

I bought a few games, books, and picture frames to line the apartment. Succulents and home decor filled my cart. 

The apartment had all the basics I would need so I didn't bother with any furniture. The kitchen was already stocked with dishes, utensils, and kitchen appliances. I was going to make Eleanor a passionate baker so I bought baking sheets, mixing bowls, and a few recipe books. 

I was pleased with the living room, it already consisted of an L-shaped neutral colored couch. A glass coffee table and a dark brown entertainment center that held a 55" TV. I bought light pink pillows, cream colored throws, and made an order with the cashier to have two white area rugs delivered to my apartment.

 I chose four placemats and a glass vase for the round white table and chairs that would serve as my dining area. 

The bedroom already had two nightstands in addition to my dresser and bed. I ordered some wooden baskets, a few more colored pillows, and soft blankets that would be shipped to my apartment with the rugs. Eleanor was a sucker for fluffy blankets.

Last on my list were the grocery items. Eleanor was a bit of a health nut, but no doubt loved to indulge in sweets and the occasional junk food. 

I made sure to stop and grab fresh flowers on the way home. A habit Eleanor picked up from her sweet mother who always made a point to have fresh flowers in the house.

Once I was back in the apartment I made haste decorating the place. I put all the perishables in the fridge. Other baking and dry foods went into the cabinet. Mixing bowls and baking supplies took up the remaining space.

Placements were put on the dining table and I filled the glass vase with water before adding in the bouquet of flowers. The books and home decor lined the shelves in the living room. Scented candles and succulents scattered here and there. Games were placed into the entertainment center below the television.

I stuck all the toiletries and makeup in the bathroom. Soaps, body scrubs, and lotions galore. 

The agency provided a small printer and laptop so I went online to print up some baking recipes and photos of Eleanor's life abroad. I photoshopped two photos of Eleanor and her parents, one from when she was a child and the second from her university graduation. 

I placed the photos in frames and hung up the remaining decor on the walls. I scattered a few pieces of jewelry, lipsticks, hair products, and hand cremes on the dresser.

The rugs and remaining pillows and throws would be tossed into the room once they arrived. 

Taking the printed recipes, I folded them and placed a few food stains to make it look well worn. A few would be passed down from her mother. I opened the recipe books and flipped through the pages making sure to bend and wrinkle them every so often. 

I took a seat back on the couch and nestled into the soft pillows. These were a good choice. I was satisfied with the apartment, it looked homey.

I had the next few days off before I was to start at the school so I decided I would use this time to explore the city. 

Eleanor was always up for trying new things, a true foodie at heart.

I smirked at what my life had become. Maybe it wasn't so bad after all.