Genesis or Exodus

"Harder!" I screamed as sweat dripped down my body.

"I'm trying as hard as I can!" Jack yells as she swings her fist towards my face.

"Well it's not hard enough." I say as I block her punch by swinging my arm up. "You're being too predictable."

"How exactly am I supposed to be unpredictable?" She says as she rolls her eyes.

I quickly knock Jack on her ass by sweeping my foot behind hers. While in my crouched formation, I roll forward and stop as I straddle her body. My elbow is now placed directly on her throat. With a little more pressure, I could crush her trachea and kill her.

"Ok, I surrender. I can't breathe." She says as she taps my thigh.

"In a real battle, there is no surrender." I said as I pull her up. "You either win or you die. Also, if you roll your eyes again, I'll make sure it's harder for you to get up."

We stop and sit down for a water break. I grab two towels and toss one of them to her. I wipe off my sweat and start up another lecture that I know she's probably tired of hearing.

"Why was I able to knock you down?" I asked as I looked her in the eyes.

"My stance was off. My feet should have been further apart and placed more firmly." She sighed deeply.

"I'm sorry, am I boring you?" I ask as I tilt my head. "I'm not doing this to be hard on you Jack. I'm doing this because I'm trying to teach you how to take care of yourself. You shouldn't have to depend on anyone else to defend yourself."

"I know Nae, I get it." She says with a soft sigh. "I can't always depend on you or him."

I hear the anger as she says him. She's mad at Riddick for leaving. Riddick and I try to keep away from Jack and Imam, so nobody has the idea of using them as leverage. Every once in a while, I check up on my favorite pup. I guess that's why she doesn't hate me as much.

"You know we both left for the same reason, right?" I ask as my eyes soften.

"And what would that be exactly?" I can still smell the anger coming off of her.

"If we stay for too long, someone will connect us to you and Imam's family." I say as I grab her hand. "Someone will use you as a tool to bring us in. We're only trying to protect you." I stand up and get back in a fighting stance. "I promised that I would keep you safe. I will continue to do that until I stop breathing. Now, breaks over. Get up and get your ass beat." I said with a smirk.

"I feel like you love my pain." She says as she rolls her eyes again, this time with a light grin.

I fake a left jab and punch her with my right. "I told you about rolling your eyes."

As Jack slumps down, she pops back up and elbows me in my gut. "Good, you're getting better every time we meet." I said with a true smile, feeling like a proud mother. "See, the trick is to stop thinking so hard. Let your instincts take over for you."

Jack nods in understanding and sets up her stance again. We continue like this for a few more hours. Jack was starting to get the hang of it and she even got in another hit.

"You really are improving." I say as I ruffle Jack's full head of curls. "You know what I think?" She looks at me with a smile on her face. "I think you should change your name."

"To what?" She asks with a look of interest.

"How about Kyra?" I ask as I look into her eyes.

"Why Kyra?" She asks.

"It means beam of light in Hebrew. I think it fits because you're one of the only people that I think about to keep me sane. You're like my light of hope when I'm fighting against the beast."