19. Too Kind For Envy

Start from the beginning

"Are you serious?" I laughed.

"I can't make this up," he said. "It's insane."

"How's Amie?" I asked. Amélie was our younger sister, she was a fair amount younger than us only being seventeen and hence was really treated as the baby of our family. She still lived with Maman and Papa in Portland and Émilio didn't live far from them. I was the only one away from home.

"Still a whiny teenager," Émilio said. "Her and that guy she was dating broke up for the fourth time so she's been pretty upset but we all know they're just gonna get back together by next week."

"I should probably call her, we haven't spoken in ages," I said.

"She adores you so she'd probably appreciate that right about now," he said. "How's Christian?"

I never told my family about my struggles with my relationships. I didn't want to concern them or gain their pity. As close as I was to them, I still kept parts of my life hidden. Once I'd ended the very lengthy call with my brother I received a "landed" message from Christian. Not long after I received a second message:

  "What colour underwear are you wearing?"

  I sighed and stretched out the waistband of my leggings and peered down at my hip.

  Me: Black.

  Christian: Can I have a peek? ;)

  I rolled my eyes and groaned, getting up off my sofa and making my way to my bedroom. I was really getting sick of this routine but I never said anything.

  About a week into Christian being away in San Fran again, Matt invited me to a small house party at his place which was the perfect excuse to let myself loose from all the end of college stress I was enduring. I brought a bottle of spirits with me as my own contribution and showed up about ten minutes late as I'd gotten lost twice on my way there.

When I arrived, Matt greeted me with all smiles and the mouth watering smell of food cooking as he led me through his house into his lounge room. His and Alex's houses weren't too far away from each other and were pretty similar in shape and size. Breana was there and so was Nick and Miles that I'd met at Alex's party. Breana and Matt were off occupying the kitchen making snacks whilst Nick, Miles and I sat around with a couple of drinks and made conversation as people slowly arrived bit by bit.

  "Where's Christian?" Nick asked me as we reclined on Matt's sofas. I think of all Alex's friends, Nick and I got on the most in the sense that I'd probably spoken to him more than the others; but Matt, out of nature, was ridiculously easy to talk to, he was just always busy with one thing or another. And Miles, although this was the second time I'd met him, we'd talked enough at Alex's party that I felt like I already knew him inside and out.

  "He's in San Fransisco for work again," I said, crossing my legs. "Where's Kelly?"

  "Couldn't make it tonight," Nick said, "were already going out to see her friends."

"Guess that makes us both partner-less for the night," I joked.

"We should make ourselves into a platonic relationship," Nick chuckled, sipping on his beer. "Whenever our partners aren't here, we group together to save us from the loneliness."

I laughed, "perfect. Like a platonic marriage."

Nick chuckled, "even better." He looked over to his right, "ey Miles wanna join our platonic marriage group?"

Miles laughed immediately, "what the hell are you two planning over there?"

"Both of our partners aren't here so we're being emotional support," I said.