5

07.10.2002

(Marina's POV)

I felt like exploding. I slammed my door and fell onto my bed in an almost overdramatic way. I clutched my pillow tight and let out a series of soft sobs. Lafina told me that dad was coming from Greece to Wales after over half a decade of not speaking to him. Only for my birthday, too.

What was wrong with that man?

I hadn't seen him in all of my teenage years. As if I'd just be okay with what he did! As if he thinks I could just forgive him for it all!

I sobbed into my pillows as Lafina rubbed my back.

"I know it's hard, Marina. Just give him a chance, maybe?"

I couldn't though. I'd probably throw up if I laid eyes on him. After all he had done. Asshole.

I got up and put on my shoes, double tying them so they wouldn't undo themselves. I sniffed, trying to get myself together. I also grabbed my old skateboard from my room and headed towards the door.

"Where are you heading?"

"[your name's] house. I just need to get my mind off of things.

"Are you going to tell him/her/them that he's coming back after all this while?"

"Most likely."

I got up to put on my jacket. Just before I headed out, Lafina said something that made me freeze in my tracks.

"You fancy [your name], don't you?"

I turned around. I didn't care about the blush creeping up my face. I watched the corners of Lafina's mouth smirk slightly. I gazed at her, dumbfounded as to how she knew.

Was it that painfully obvious?

"What makes you think that?"

I snarled, trying to sound like she was the crazy one. Who was I kidding?

"Why else would you not shut up about him/her/them and hold hands while we ate?"

I looked around the room, eyes darting everywhere before settling on her eyes. I couldn't think of an excuse at all. I sighed, putting a finger to my lips, shushing and grinning.

"Oh my god ahhh! It's true! I can't believe it!"

Lafina said, jumping around excitedly. I knew I could trust her not to tell mum. She'd kill me. All she wants is the best, and is terrified I'll be taken advantage of again.

"You mustn't tell mum though, okay? I can't afford losing [your name]."

Lafina nodded.

"But he/she/they likes you back, right?"

"Actually.. I don't know. I'm afraid."

"Just do it, confess. You'll feel better inside, I promise...does uhh he/she/they know about everything that happened?"

Lafina tilted her head to the side. She looked concerned.

"Yes. I told him/her/them everything."

Lafina nodded.

She winked, I smiled and turned around to start skating to [your name's] house.

[time skip]

Why wasn't anyone home? I peeked through the windows and let out a sigh as I realised the house was completely empty. I shrugged and turned around, about to go back home when all of a sudden I feel someone practically run over me with their skateboard.