Five

chapter five.
get your dog

༄‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊༄

The group was packed into the van as John B drove to Redfield lighthouse.

"I mean it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was going to get back to me, right?"

John B was desperately trying to turn this into something it wasn't and Popi was mentally drained from the day so she laid her head on JJ's shoulders as Kiara reassured him.

"Yeah. It's possible." The group, besides John B, all glanced at each other. It was a game to see who was going to be the one to tell the boy first.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feelings." Pope offhandedly comments, not looking away from the rearview mirror.

Popi kicks her brother in his thigh, not wanting to move from JJ's protective embrace.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels," JJ traced patterns on Popi's back. "Dank nugs and stickiest of ickies."

"I watch sad dog movies and eat chips," Popi inputted a better way to deal with sad feels. "John B it's okay to still not be good about your dad."

"I'm not concocting, okay." John B denied. "My dads trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe, John B,"

"Look, I don't need a therapy session, okay. I'm not trippin' out." John B scoffed at his friends.

"It's okay to trip, bro, but-" JJ tried to calm his friend down without crushing his spirits entirely.

"Look, my dad is missing, okay," John B repeated the phrase to himself. "Missing."

JJ and Pope shared a glance, having heard the line many times from the boy. Popi put a hand on John B's shoulder, trying to calm the boy down. She was expressing to him that they were doing this for his own good. Which he knew, but was too caught up in his ideas.

"You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened." John B cleared his throat before continuing but they had all heard the crack of emotion slip through.  "Just wake up every morning wondering."

"It's been almost a year," A tense silence had developed the van. The group couldn't imagine something like that happening to them.

JJ and Pope started throwing out ideas about what happened to John B's dad. But it started to go sideways when they started turning into make-believe. Almost like they were mocking him about making all of this up.