One

chapter one.
please don't kill yourself

༄‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊༄

Popi is lounging with her head across JJ's lap on top of the scaffolding. She is wearing one of the boy's infamous muscle tees that swoop down on her side, showing her mismatched swimsuit underneath.

JJ's arm is draped across her stomach, tracing his fingers along her exposed skin. Her eyes are closed, taking in the last of the sun's light before a cold feeling is placed on her exposed stomach.

She shots into a sitting position, resulting in JJ's beer spilling on the two of them.

"Common," JJ groans, watching with Popi as the can falls off the scaffolding. "Look what you made me do, flower."

"I did not," Popi denies with a laugh. To make up for the spilled beer, she hands him her unopened one. She only drinks when they are on John B's boat or in the boneyard. As the self-designated sober friend, she needs to be able-minded enough to talk her way out of trouble the group could cause.

JJ shows his appreciation with a swift kiss to the girl's lips. Both of them turning back to the conversation after hearing Kiara's mocking tone following the teasing threat of Pope to shoot John B with a drill gun.

"You'll shoot me?" John B plays along and pretends to hold up a gun and shoots it back at Pope. Popi chuckles at the two, knowing for a fact that her brother would never be able to shoot anything at his friends.

"They're going to have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kiara's disbelief reaches Popi and JJ, who have to lean over to see her.

"This used to be a turtle habitat," Popi recites, having heard years of Kiara's knowledge and ranting.  "But who cares about the turtles I guess?"

Kiara claps her hands together, pointing them at Popi in agreement.

"I can't have cold towels." Pope grins at Kiara. She smiles back and Popi kicks JJ's foot with hers; pointing out the exchange. Her twin wasn't very subtle about his horrible crush on Kiara.

To be fair, none of them were. They all agreed, Pope Heyward was the worst.

JJ shakes his head at the girl and digs his fingers into her sides.

Kiara brightens at the couple, the common feeling of jealousy sits on her stomach.

She looks up at John B, who was testing his relationship with God by putting one foot out in front of him on top of the roof. "Can you please not kill yourself?"

"Don't spill that beer," JJ warns John B, knowing there is no more beer in the cooler. "Popi already gave me hers, so you're out of luck."

John B stumbles as a gust of wind blows through and sends his beer crashing down on the deck. The can explodes and leaves traces of the group on the deck.

"Seriously?" Popi squints up at John B. "Way to go, point-break,"

"Smooth. Right after I told you not to," JJ starts with a shake of his head. John B just sighs in disappointment, listening to his friends laugh at his misfortune.

Pope leans over the railing and notes the ADT security show up and warns his friends. "Hey, code blue!"

JJ helps Popi swing down from the scaffolding by grabbing onto her waist. He passes her the glasses, which he keeps in his pocket so she could see during the escape. Taking the role of a distraction, JJ starts calling out the security man's name.

"Gary, is that you ?"

Popi grabs Pope's hand and follows everyone through the house. Adrenaline pumps loudly in their ears as they zigzag out of the security arms. Between the shouting, panting, and constant pounding for her heart, Popi didn't have time to laugh at JJ falling in front of Gary before she was grabbed from behind. She is dragged through the unfinished garage by a firm grip on her arm.

Kiara holds tightly onto Popi's bicep and hauls her into the van. Popi calms down upon seeing her friend dragging her out of the mess. They slump into each other, holding the door for JJ and Pope.

When the two finally stumble into the van, they attempt to laugh off their adrenaline. JJ looks relieved to see Popi already in the van and reaches over to pull the girl out of Kiara's arms into his own.

The group is still shaking when Kiara convinces JJ to get back into the van. He is throwing an empty beer can at the security while they all egg him on.

He pulls Popi closer to him and rubs his nose on her neck. Popi immediately scrunches up her neck at the feeling, extremely ticklish and attempts to escape his unrelenting hold. Escape wasn't insite as JJ only does this to get a giggle from the girl. Reaching out for Kiara's help, she only shakes her head and proceeds to take pictures of the two.

Finally free from JJ's lacking grip, Popi pokes her head up over John B's shoulders. She loves the view going over the bridge back onto the island. John B already knows the drill and moves over a bit to let her see. The view never fails to bring a sense of serenity to the girl. John B smiles softly at his friend, her hair tickling the back of his ear. He reaches up and tapes the girl on the nose, earning him a head bump and her crinkled nose.

Pope laughs at his sister's excitement and throws his arm around her shoulder. He reaches forward and pushes in a cassette, the label reading "Pogues on a Mission", into the player.

The group sits back and listens to a static version of 'It's Time' by Imagine Dragons.

༄‧̍̊˙· 𓆝.° 。˚𓆛˚。 °.𓆞 ·˙‧̍̊༄

anything else;

as of 07/13/2021 - this chapter has been updated!

let's get this started!

I hope you all like this, please leave a vote and comment if you did!