39 | Broken

3 9
Broken

"This is honestly unbelievable. What in the world came over you, Lyndon?"

I ignore Mom's glare, and catch Dad's eye from across the living room. He mouths the word sorry. I assumed he didn't tell Mom about the fight because it's been three days and she never mentioned it. But I haven't gone back to school, faking sick to stay home. I guess the school's office got suspicious and finally contacted the Prince household to see what's happening.

And I guess it's just my luck that the big mouth gossip whore secretary was the one who called, and my oblivious mother was the one who answered the phone.

Mom and I haven't had a real conversation in weeks. I don't plan on starting now, especially if all she's going to do is scold me.

"Is it really that unbelievable?"

My focus on the table in front of me breaks at the sound of Knox's voice. For a second, I can't remember the last time I heard it, let alone heard him directing a word in my direction—well, it's technically indirect, but whatever.

Everyone else in the room seems to freeze for a second, and one by one Mom, Dad, Noah, and I all look toward Knox. He quickly bows his head, fingers furiously pulling at the ends of his sweatshirt, before he rises from his chair. "I'm heading out."

"Right now?" Mom asks, with no annoyance present in her voice—but if Noah or I just got up and said that during a family meeting, she'd sound a lot different. "I'd really like to meet these friends you're always with."

Confusion floods Dad's face, just as I'm sure it does mine. I had no clue Knox had any friends, let alone that he was hanging out with them enough for Mom to notice.

Noah doesn't look confused, though. For some reason, I feel the slightest twist of my heart. I have enough going on to be upset about, and seeing that Noah knows more about Knox's life than I do just adds to the growing pile.

I vaguely remember a time when Knox and I were closer. Never as close as Noah and I—but that's because we're twins, always forced to be together—but we got along. And anytime our younger brother needed something, and he couldn't find Mom or felt weird confiding in her, he turned to me. He might have never been happy about it, but when it came down to having to pick between me or Noah, he always chose me.

Now, it feels like there's not even a choice to be made. I think the only person I can top in his eyes is Dad, and that's not saying much, because he can't stand that man more than anything.

Knox opens his mouth, then glances toward me and closes it. I frown, wondering if I'm the reason he's deciding not to share. He quickly walks toward where Mom is standing by the couch, kisses her cheek, and says, "I'll be back in an hour or so."

And the knife in my heart just keeps twisting.

It's silent for several seconds after the front door closes behind Knox. Noah moves to the window to peek out, then turns around and faces me, squinting his eyes a little. I don't understand what the look means, and at this point, I don't care.

"Anyway," Dad announces after clearing his throat, "Lyndon's not suspended. It's not going on her permanent record at all. Let's just... all move on."