06 | What's in a Name, Anyway?

0 6
What's in a Name, Anyway?

"Why in the fuck would we not go, Lynnie?" Noah questions from the doorway of my bedroom.

I look up from where I'm sprawled out on the floor, clothes and shoes scattered all around me.

"Let me think that over," I start. "I have nothing to wear. All of the people from that school suck. And, oh, Malia is the worst!"

Noah steps further into the room, kicking a pair of my six inch heels out the way, making me almost sit up and karate-fucking-chop his ass.

"Hey!" I squeal, still lying down. "Those are Louboutins!"

"So?" Noah asks.

"They're expensive, beautiful, and my only pair, you uncultured dickhead."

"No, I meant, so about Malia being the worst and people from school sucking. Who cares, Lynnie? We're still living here and going there. Might as well enjoy ourselves, or at least try too."

I watch as he throws himself onto my bed, grabbing my pillow and cuddling it to his chest, closing his eyes and looking extremely peaceful. Naturally, I reach for a pair of converse and throw one at him.

"Come on," he mumbles, never opening his eyes.

"See, you're tired," I state, moving into a sitting position. "Stay home and sleep. I'll represent the Prince twins for us."

"Aha," he shouts, pointing his finger at my face and quickly rising from the bed to sit up. "I knew that's what it was. You don't want me going."

I sigh, raising my hands in surrender, seeing as there's no point in trying to lie my way out of this one. "You're right. I don't."

"Why the fuck not? It's not like we'll be stuck with each other. Trust me, Lynnie, I do not want to hang out with you outside of this house."

I roll my eyes. "I don't wanna hang out with you inside this house. Just leave me alone forever. Get out."

He lays back down on my bed and makes himself more comfortable. "I still don't get why you don't want me going. Scared I'll meet your new friends and they'll like me better?"

I doubt Jalen will like you better. "Yup. So, please, stay here and don't steal my friends." I move into a kneeling position and bring my hands together in front of me, pretending to beg.

"Nah," he says while staring at the ceiling, trying to keep a smile off his face and ignore my antics. "I'm gonna go. What time did Malia say she was coming?"

I reach for my phone that's hidden under the number of shirts and jeans thrown on my floor. I feel my stomach drop when I see Liam's name in my messages, even though we haven't talked since that night last week on FaceTime. We texted when I got back to the house, and we texted two days after that about his first day at school. He texted me yesterday asking when I start, and I told him three more days. That was all.

Jess, on the other hand, hasn't left me alone. She's constantly calling and texting—both solo and in the group chat—about how sorry she is if she caused any trouble. She claims she barely remembers what happened, all she knows is she had Liam's phone and called me.

Bea assured me their story was true, as she saw Drunk Jess from a distance barely able to stand and talking to Liam. She said by the time she reached them Liam had already lended her his phone, and she left shortly after to go call an Uber.

I've been trying to pretend it didn't happen and act like everything's okay, but it's become clear to me that I don't live by them anymore, meaning there's undeniable distance between us.