Eighty Days Home

13 November 2017

He never truly came back to reality, but I supposed it was a way of coping with what was looming over our heads. He had agreed to testify and the attorney had coached him through what was likely to happen, but the fact that he would be asked personal, private questions that he had never spoken about before, in front of a jury, and there would be someone trying to poke holes in that story. I understood the defence attorney was not truly defending that man, but he still had to try his best.

"The questions are going to be very difficult, but just do your best. Answer truthfully, no matter what." She had said. "You can have one person in the room with you-"

"Vikk." He said, not even hesitating. She turned to me.

"Are you alright with that?"

"Of course." I nodded.

"You won't be able to talk or speak at all, but you can hold his hand and comfort him, silently."

I had agreed with all of that, but the knowledge that I was about to hear what had been done to him scared me. He had never told me or anyone else what had been done, what that man had done to him, but the scars and burns told a story that words just couldn't. A story of over two years of abuse, of fear and of pain.

We woke up on a cool and crisp morning, the 13th of November, to the knowledge that today was the day that Lachlan would testify. He was physically shaking as I helped him shower and get dressed, pushing away any food or drink I tried to offer and he wouldn't let me hook a feed up to his tube either. He simply sat on the sofa and clung to me, verging on a panic attack all morning.

"It's gonna be okay Lachy." I whispered, sighing as he flinched when the front door opened- the attorney and magistrate were here. "I'll be here for a whole thing, I promise."

----------------------------------------------

The camera was set up, the room was cleared and the court, which now only contained the jury, two attorneys, a clerk, a bailiff and a court reporter. With us was only the magistrate, who was there to supervise Lachlan's testimony and make sure no one was saying anything to him. He trembled in my arms, pressed into my side while we sat and waited, ready for the questions begin.

The magistrate had Lachlan place his hand on a bible and swear to tell the truth after checking the live link to the court worked- they could see and hear us, and we could hear them. Lachlan didn't want to see them, so a camera wasn't set up. He swore he would tell the truth, voice trembling.

"Right, can you hear me Lachlan?" Our attorney, who I only now knew was called Mary, asked. He nodded, squeezing my hand tightly. With the other he played with the feeding tube, breathing coming slow and heavy. "That's good. When you answer, can you speak out loud please? We need to hear you."

Lachlan went to nod again before stopping himself- "O-Okay."

"Alright. I'll start. Answer everything you can, and answer truthfully."

Lachlan mumbled out an affirmative, glancing at me. I smiled, doing my best not to say anything.

"Can you confirm that you are Lachlan Ross Power, aged 22, born August 25th 1995?"

"Yes." Lachlan said, voice shaking.

"Alright Lachlan, can you tell me what happened on the 23rd of March, 2015?" She asked.

"I- I went out with Vikk and the other guys." He mumbled. "We went to a bar and cause I was tired I only had one or two beers. But I started feeling funny around... 11 and I don't remember much after that. Everything was woozy and then I woke up in... in the basement."