Chapter 28

Banner and Max looked up awkwardly from the floor as the door to their prison slid open. A stranger entered, dressed in a grey singlesuit and carrying a laser gun. He was thickset and from the way he moved, Max thought it was all muscle rather than fat. But it was the fact that he had not bothered to wear a mask, that worried Max the most. What was happening? Had something gone wrong with the kidnapper's plan?

The stranger set the privacy seal on the door first, then bent impersonally over Max and Banner, checking that their bonds were still tight.

He stood up and faced the door, his back to the two captives.

"What's happening?" asked Max.

For a moment he thought the other man was not going to answer. "The Patrol's here," he said gruffly. He paused, "You two are going to be my ticket out. Or else you're coming with me on a one way journey." He turned the laser gun in his hand until it pointed at Max.

On the other side of the door, Alan Stewart checked the heat signatures in the cabin again. Damn it. Now there were three. Someone else was in there with Max and Banner.

"Open up, it's the Patrol."

Banner's heart leaped, he was sure that was Alan's voice, he wanted desperately to see him.

"I've got two hostages," the thickset man replied. "Leave the ship now and no-one needs to get hurt. I've got a heat sensor in here so I can check that you're gone," he warned.

Banner wondered how on Earth he thought he could get away with that.

"There's no way we are leaving without the hostages," answered Alan, more calmly than he felt. "Surrender now, and I won't add this charge to your offences."

"I've got a laser gun," the man threatened. "I won't go back to prison!" He was trying hard to sound in control but Max could see beads of sweat breaking out on his face.

"I'm Lieutenant Stewart, I'm guessing you're an employee, not the man responsible for organising this?" Alan continued, pushing the threat of the laser gun to the back of his mind. "You could help yourself a lot by giving evidence against your employer, becoming a witness for the Patrol. It could reduce your sentence considerably, depending how much information you could provide. Just think about it for a minute, we've got time here."

He took a steady breath, "I need to know that the hostages are alive. Can you do that for me?"

Inside the room, the thickset man nodded infinitesimally.

Max looked meaningfully at Banner as he hastened to answer for both of them in a clear voice. "We're fine, Lieutenant. Medic Banner is here with me."

Banner understood, Max was being careful not to give away their personal connection to Alan.

Corporal Brown came up alongside his First Lieutenant. "We've got a problem, sir." He said in a low voice. "This ship has been sabotaged. It's set to self destruct in exactly twenty-one minutes from now. Somebody evidently didn't want anyone to leave this ship alive."

Stewart stared at him, temporarily stunned by the ruthlessness of the person who had done this. How could they get everyone off in time?

Brown continued, "I contacted the Captain and he's sending the shuttle, but should I start evacuating using the stealth pods, sir?"

"Good idea." Alan thought fast. "Get Wilson and Cheng in the first one. The rest, one prisoner with one of us. I'll let you work it out, but leave anyone who resists, don't waste time trying to persuade them. They can catch the shuttle later." Brown nodded briefly and disappeared.

Alan turned back to the locked door in front of him. "I've got some news which might help you make up your mind," he called out. "Did you know someone has programmed this ship to self destruct? We have about fifteen minutes to get everyone off."

"You've got to be kidding!" exclaimed the kidnapper. "You think I'm stupid to fall for something like that?"

"Check your heat sensor," Alan advised urgently. "You can see we've already started evacuating. A shuttle is on the way now from the Qatar, but everyone not lined up and ready to go as soon as it docks, will be left behind. There will only be one chance to leave. I give you my solemn word as a patrol officer, this is not a trick."

There was an agonizing pause. Precious seconds ticked away.

Banner could see their gaoler frowning heavily as he tried to make up his mind. "Think about the man who organised this," asked Banner persuasively. "Is he warm and caring, does he look out for his employees? Or is he a ruthless pragmatist, who wants people to be afraid of him and doesn't like to leave any loose ends?"

He evidently struck a nerve, as the man swore viciously. "Alright!" He said through clenched jaws. "I'll turn Patrol witness. He's not going to get away with this!"

He put the gun on the floor. "I've dropped the gun and put my hands behind my head. You can come in."

Stewart didn't hesitate. He shot the lock with his stunner and went in. Lee followed and took charge of the thickset man while Alan untied Max and Banner, working as fast as he could. Their arms and legs were numb and neither could stand without support.

"Put an arm around my neck," Alan ordered both of them. "We have to get out of here."

He heaved both of them to their feet, grateful for once for his large size. Banner was on his left and Max on his right, their arms around his neck, his arms around their waists. Banner knew it was inappropriate but he couldn't help himself, he kissed Alan on the cheek. "I am so glad to see you,' he murmured.

"Me too," said Max with a sly smile and kissed him on the other cheek.

Alan gave an incredulous snort. He half dragged, half carried them down the passage, followed by Lee and the prisoner.

"This looks like my kind of ship," murmured Lee happily, after a rather startled pause. Oops! He really hoped the Lieutenant hadn't heard that.