40. The arrangement.

Flashback

Flashback

Will was still in high school when he was introduced to Joanie. He barely had facial hair, and he was being presented with a girl to be his future wife.

That night, he was with his parents at some fundraiser or another, and his mom had been waving merrily at the next table.

His and Mac's eyes follow. Will's eyes land on a young, graceful woman talking to another who would appear to be her mother.

Her eyes flit to his, and he smiles at her softly before he has a drink from his water glass.

"Will, did you know how me and your mum met?" His dad's Irish brogue came out a little bit when asking his son that question. It sometimes does when he's nostalgic.

"Blind date, right?" He looks from one parent to the other.

They are smiling affectionately at each other. His mom breaks the eye contact to place her hand on Will's arm. "Yes, blind date, but before the date, it was already understood we were going to be wed."

Will is flabbergasted. "Wait - really?"

"It's true," Mia confirms. "And we have been very, very happy." She touches Will's hair. "Bonus: we have two great kids, too."

Will frowns a little at that. He despises that Liv had to grow up at boarding school, but it was undoubtedly customary at this point. Most people thought she was his cousin when they asked about her.

"Why, though?" Will inquires.

Mac chuckles. "Business, of course."

"And you just agreed to it?"

Mia answers with her big smile and a little shrug of her shoulders. "Well, sort of. Between my sisters and me, well, Grandpa Linetti thought I would be the best fit for Mac out of all of them. So I agreed to at least meet him and see."

"And when your mum came in," Mac says, his eyes twinkling. "I was done for. Away with the fairies as she walked toward me."

Will quirks his eyebrow to him. His dad has gone fierce Irish again.

"Um, well, that's nice..."

"Anyway, Wilbur," Mia says, and Will gives her a death glare at her using his full name. Mac chuckles and lightly pinches the back of his son's neck.

"It's honestly no different than using a dating app to find compatible partners if you trust the people who are fixing you up."