1. The rude awakening. - Olivia

A/N: this book has potential, but it's raw and needs to be edited for errors, character development and plot

A/N: this book has potential, but it's raw and needs to be edited for errors, character development and plot. It's not perfect and the author sure as hell isn't either. Read at your own risk. Intended for mature audiences 18+

What date did you start reading?
Drop me a comment here! 💜

What date did you start reading? Drop me a comment here! 💜

Lonely birds still sing. The sun beams even though she's alone in the sky.

And despite being cast aside and exhausted, we all move along until we give up.

When you trust somebody with your life, like I do with my husband, you don't question their motives. My family raised me better—turns out they were also a mystery.

My parents owned and operated Graham Development until their untimely passing. My older brother Will took over, and my path led me to child welfare.

Foster care workers are meticulous, taking on burdens to avoid further screwing up somebody's life.

I was foolish not to recognize the signs.

I have two things on my mind as I park my sedan in the garage: Snuggles and showering. Without fail, the first one will greet me at the door.

My husband's sleek SUV is parked on the left side. "Jakob?" I'm calling for him as I push inside, positive he's here if his vehicle beat me home.

Snuggles jumps around like she's qualified for the Westminster Show's finals, but I don't find my husband anywhere. "Where's Daddy?"

She perks her ears but doesn't take off trotting, confirming he's not around.

Absence in my marriage was typical at one point—Jakob either gone or asleep.

Our relationship rode a roller coaster for months, hope deferred and blissful bonding. Working hard to show devotion one evening and the next, retiring to bed without a word.

My keys clank on the counter as I toss them down and scan the room.

We designed our home, and I adore it: an open floor plan flowing from kitchen to living space, with high cathedral ceilings that have wooden planks climbing the walls.