Chapter 6 - Geysir & Gulfoss

We pulled up to a wooden building and parked outside.
Stepping back out into the cold sent shivers down my body.
"Do you want to view the geysir first or the museum?" Coach enquired.
"Geysir." I nodded. "I've seen what you guys put in museums." I laughed.
Coach started to laugh. His hand found its way to my hair, he ruffled it in his hand.
"You're cuter when you're happy you know."
I knocked his hand off of my head. "Stop joking around." I snapped playfully,
"Yes sir!" He stood to attention and saluted. I rolled my eyes at him. He's such a dork.
"Ok, geysir it is." He pointed across the stark black road. I followed after him, looking left and right across the road seemed almost pointless as there were almost no vehicles on the roads apparently.

We crossed and made our way up a slight incline. A thin stream trickled alongside the path up the side of the hill. The fact the water was flowing when it was so cold was almost mind blowing was it not for the steam coming from it. It cut its way through the snow and I began to wondered just how hot it was. Coach warned me against putting my hand in it, seeming to sense my childlike curiosity.

About half way up the hill there was a little stone tablet perched near a small bubbling brook. Carved into the small rock was 'Litli-geysir".
"Awww that sounds really cute!" I smiled, looking at Coach.
"It's not the only cute thing." He replied with a big grin.
My cheeks blushed.
"Oh you thought I meant you?" He raised a finger and pointed to his face. "I meant me." His mouth turning up at the corner.
I slapped against his arm. He laughed and we continued our ascent.

When we reached the top there was a a circle of people stood looking like they were performing some form of ritual. I heard a buzz of excitement from the circle and without warning a huge plume of water shot high into the air.
My mouth dropped as my eyes shot up following the water sprout. I watched it fall back towards the ground.
"It's awesome right?" He said while looking deep into my eyes. I couldn't even respond, I just nodded and grabbed his hand. I was like a pre-verbal toddler dragging someone to see something they had just found. I rushed towards the circle and shimmied us into a small gap. Coach was pressed up against my back, I could feel the warmth emanating from him.

I glanced down into the deep hole that looked so bizarre being situated atop a hill. The water sat still for some time. I kept looking to Coach's face to see if he was reacting to anything, looking for any indication it was about to erupt. He grabbed my head in his hands and positioned it so I was looking forward.
He lowered himself and his stubble brushed my ear.
"You'll miss it if you keep looking at me." His hand slid down to my lower back and he held it there.
The water slowly started to rise in the hole, it rose ever so slightly before dropping lower than it had been before. It then rose slightly higher before again dropping even further down. It continued this surreal pulsing for some minutes. All of a sudden the pressure had built to such a point that the water again burst high into the sky. The air filled with sounds of surprise and admiration.
I hadn't realised that Coach's chin was still rested on my shoulder until he whispered in my ear.
"Everyone calls this Geysir, but it's not. Geysir is over there." He pointed further up the hill.
I turned to face him.
"If this isn't Geysir then is Geysir even more impressive?!"
He shook his head solemnly.
"Geysir doesn't erupt very often now, sometimes it can go years between eruptions. Most people think this is Geysir, and sometimes it's better that way. Less disappointment."

"Less disappointment? That was amazing!... wait, so what's this one called?"
"Strokkur." He answered.
"Stroker?! I thought you were telling me the truth!"
He laughed.
"I'm being serious, but no. Not stroker. Is your mind always in the gutter?" He turned his back to me. I stuck my tongue out as I glared at the back of his stupid head. I shuffled slowly behind him, trying to keep my balance as we descended the snow covered hill. Coach looked back just in time to see me slip slightly. He turned and walked back to me.
"Do you want me to carry you down?" He smirked.
"Don't be stupid! If you fell we'd both go down. I'll manage!"