Chapter 2 - Arrival

Adam seemed frozen in place, his eyes darting from me to up and down the bus. He was clearly looking for somewhere to sit, anywhere that wasn't next to me. Without warning and with all the grace of a bulldozer the tanned man that "helped" me with my bags barged onto the coach, pushing Adam so he almost fell onto the driver.

"Are you going to sit down or are you standing the full journey?" The tanned man said to Adam. Adam's face lit up red as the coach murmured with stifled giggles. "There's a seat right there!" He exclaimed, gesturing to the seat sat next to me. Adam almost looked like he'd prefer to stand.  However he didn't quite compare to the mountain of a man before him, arguing would probably have been fruitless.
Adam's neck seemed to be struggling to keep his head up as he slowly made his way towards me. I wondered why he seemed so scared of me?

He placed himself in the seat next to me but it was like it took all his might to do it. His gaze settled halfway between the floor and the headrest of the seat in front. I knew I had to talk to him, even if it was just small talk. I couldn't let him sit in awkward silence for the nearly half hour drive it would take to get to the hotel.
"Is this your first time in Iceland?" I quizzed. He slowly lifted his head, his eyes finally met mine. "Ummm no, I've been before but this is the first time on my own. Have you been before?" His voice trembled slightly.

"Yeah it's my first time, what would you recommend?" Why I asked I don't know, I already had paid for a coach trip with its itinerary so it's not like I could just change plans. What I wasn't expecting was my question to almost completely change his disposition. His eyes seemed to light up.
I soon found out why.
"Iceland is my favourite place, what do you want to know? Oh! A really good restaurant is Saegreifinn on the harbour in Reykjavik. It means Sea Baron and they do the best lobster soup!" He was grinning from ear to ear, he clearly did love this country. He went on to tell me about other restaurants he enjoyed, his favourite waterfalls, even the best thermal baths.

The whole time he was talking he looked so full of joy, no trace of his previous concern.
His blue eyes and blushing lips again drew me in. His words seemed to fade out. I wanted to kiss him so badly.
"Alright, everybody off" my head spun round and met the gaze of the tanned guy. It's like he's going out of his way to irritate me. Why would he interrupt mine and Adam's conversation. I didn't care that we'd reached the hotel, I wanted to continue listening to Adam saying Icelandic words which had no meaning to me but sounded so beautiful coming from his lips.

I begrudgingly shifted to move, but only after Adam had made the first move to leave his seat. I followed him off the coach into the frozen landscape. This time the white sheet blanketing the floor was broken up by small amounts of black, volcanic mounds. The almost pungent aroma of sulphur filled my nose, had I not noticed this before or was it just that we were closer to the Blue Lagoon? I turned slightly to my left and was surprised to see Adam stood almost right next to me, had he finally beaten back whatever was causing him to look like a panicked child whenever he looked at me?

The annoying tanned man lifted the side door of the coach and removed the bags one by one. First came Adam's. "I'm going to go check in, I might see you around." He said waving as he walked away. He didn't know how much I was hoping we would see a lot more of each other. I'm unsure how long I was transfixed on watching Adam walk away, all I know is it was long enough for my bags to be thrown at my feet almost knocking me over. I span around, face red but this time with anger. My eyes settled on that annoying smirk that instantly enraged me further.

"Oh now you're paying attention? Your bags are there." that tanned idiot said while laughing. The urge to rush towards him was only held back by the fact he could probably rip me apart with his bare hands.

"What's your problem?" My mouth firing off before my mind could catch up, my hands springing to cover my mouth. I must've turned as pale as the surrounding snow. His left eyebrow raised quizzically.
"No problem here. You're just cute is all." He said this as simply as if he was chatting with his best friend.
"Wh..what?" I stammered.