Chapter 8

How can something so damaged, so unknown, and so distant, be so beautiful?

                                                                                                                                               -S.B

I looked to my left at Kellie, her hair swept to the right side of her body so she could see the math she was working on. Her eyebrows were pulled together in concentration as she worked, tongue poking out slightly.

I reached over, my Psych homework lying forgotten in my lap, and gently poked the slight dimple caving in on her cheek.

“You’re beautiful.” She peeked up at me with the tiniest of smiles and shook her head with a soft laugh.

“It must be your eyesight going bad.” I pouted and nuzzled into the crook of her neck.

“I have perfect vision.” I whined, pressing feathery kisses upon her soft warm skin.

She giggled and wiggled away, crossing her arms as she glared at me.

“Never again.” She growled.

I grinned widely and scooted closer. “Why, is a little princess ticklish?”

“No! And I’m not a princess!” I raised my eyebrows with a smirk and lunged at her. She screeched and got off the couch running away. I grinned and raced after her, chasing her around the house before we ended up in her room with her stuck in her closet.

“Kellie.” I breathed, chest heaving from the exercise of chasing my lazy but fast girlfriend.

She looked around and took a step back, when she let out a scream and disappeared. My eyes widened and I ran into the closet, sighing in relief as she climbed out of a doorway in the closet.

“Are you okay baby?” I asked, kneeling down and gently cupping her face as I looked it over. “What’s your middle name?”

“Harry I’m fine.” She laughed softly. “I just forgot about this door.” She turned and gazed at it, as did I.

“Do you know what’s on the other side of it?” She shrugged.

“I’ve never opened it before.” I chewed my lip and stood from the floor, entering the secret room. I searched the walls for a light switch before finding a cord to pull on, a very dull dirty light filling the room. There was tons of furniture with white sheets over it and boarded up windows to the outside.

“It’s kind of cozy… If you take away the whole horror movie vibe going on.” Kellie said, her slender arms sliding around my waist.

“You’re correct on that statement.”

She smiled up at me and stood on her tip toes, gently pecking my cheek. “We should hang out in here.” I nodded with a smile and kissed the top of her head.

“Can you read me some poetry?” She sighed.

“I don’t know.” I pouted and rocked us side to side. It took a moment or two before she gave in, but she did, and watched in amusement as I ran around and finally found a couch, lying down on it. She smiled and walked over, and I sat up, letting her sit down so I could lay my head in her lap.

Instantly her fingers started winding through my hair, a soft hum slipping from her. She began to recite Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, and hundreds of other fun rhymes, and within half an hour, I fell asleep to the soft lull of her voice.