Chapter 5

"I know too much about life to have any optimism."

-Unknown

I walked into school a little more excited than I had been in a long time. I couldn't wait to see Harry, that annoying curly haired shithead. Just the thought of Harry made my feel that fire in my muscles.

But the small bit of joy I felt was demolished when I caught one of those popular bitches talking to Queen Bitch.

"So you and Harry are back together?" I stopped abruptly and looked over at them. Not that the cunts noticed, I was no one to them, I was nothing in their eyes.

"Of course, Jas. I mean, how could he just give me up?" She laughed, high and bitchy sounding as her witch nose crumpled up.

And just like that, I felt the familiar hateful emptiness. I felt like it was me against the world once again. "How fucking fun." I uttered under my breath.

I made my way to my locker and put my stuff away then hid in the library until the bell for the beginning of class went off. I gathered my bag and slung it over my shoulder, my Docs clicking as I walked down the hallway. I finally made it to class and pushed the door open, the class going silent.

"Ms. Zavadil, wonderful of you to join us." The sub said, raising a disapproving eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and walked to a far off seat, in the very back corner as Harry sat in the front where we usually sat, and gave me a worried look as I walked right past him. As I plopped down in my seat, my phone buzzed in my pocket and I was forced to dig it out.

Harry: Are you okay? xx

I rolled my eyes at the text and stuffed my phone deep within my bag.

"Ms. Zavadil!" The old woman huffed. "Where is your pass?"

"I don't know. Unwritten?" I crossed my arms and kicked my feet up on the desk next to me. This Monday is going great so far.

"Do not get sassy with me."

"But ma'am. One of my middle names is Sassafrass." I watched a red tint crawl up her neck as her hands balled into fists.

"I'm warning you, behave or you will get a referral." I sighed and kicked my feet down, leaning forward, my green eyes piercing her dull brown eyes.

"Mrs..." I looked at the board. "Jordan, I don't care. Give me three of the mother fuckers."

She gaped and was completely speechless for a moment, before dropping the subject. Then we were given time to work on our essays. She didn't say shit to me for the rest of class. When the bell went off, I practically ran out of the room, completely ignoring Harry's calls for me. Infact, I plugged my headphones in and pulled my beats up, ignoring the world as I drifted through my daily routine.

It was perfect for me. It was perfect to me. And it was the only thing that made my heart hurt less.

Days went by like this, in fact I got to Friday before I was tugged into the library and to an empty section on my way to lunch.

"What did I do?!" Harry anxiously whisper-yelled, running his hands through his hair as his wild emeralds ran over me.

"Nothing, Harry." I snapped in reply.

He reached out and cupped my face, wincing when I stepped away, my body meeting the bookcase.

"Please, Kellie. Tell me what I did, I can't take you ignoring me. It's driving me nuts." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"You're dating Macy, I'm sure you shouldn't be here." He gaped for what seemed like a century before he began laughing.

"Jesus Christ, no." He sighed. " I'd never date her ever again."

"Really, because I definitely heard different on Monday." I crossed my arms, keeping my harsh gaze on him.

"What are you talking about?" He whispered in confusion.

"Monday morning sweet Macy was flaunting her relationship with you. "

He didn't talk for a moment after my reply, just looked at me in shocked confusion, like he couldn't grasp what I'd said.

"She's an idiot. You know this." He groaned in exasperation. "Why believe her over me?"

I looked away, not exactly wanting to give in and admit that I was wrong on this I had heard what she said, and although she was a lying bitch, I wanted to believe her, just because Harry was getting too close. He was getting close to breaking through walls that no one was allowed past. I'd already broken so many rules just by allowing myself to have fun and go on a date with him. No one was given those chances. I'd promised myself to never risk anything.

"Because." I snapped, but I left it hang there, having no reasonable response that he'd understand.

"Because why? What have I done to you for you not to trust me?" I looked away from his beautiful eyes and glared at the ground, digging the toe of my Docs into the floor.

"Nothing." I muttered. He sighed and cupped my face, bringing my gaze back to his.

"Then why don't you?" I felt my heart begin to pound as my palms became sweaty and I swallowed hard, trying to stay calm as his warm minty breath gently caressed my face.

"I-I don't know." I admitted, feeling his chest press to mine as he took a step closer. My heart was pounding out of control now, and I was fine with that.

"What should I say when I want to kiss the side of your neck and leave it at that? When I want to feel the heat of my own breath bounce back and warm my lips after I strategically place them on my favorite pieces of your skin. I want to leave goosebumps everywhere I have not yet kissed and spend the night trying to read them like Braille." Harry recited softly, just under his breath so only I could hear.

I smiled softly. "Tyler Knott Gregson." I murmured.

He nodded. "Am I allowed to do when Gregson and I both dreamt of?" I bit my lip gently, but his right hand came up and tugged it from my teeth, then tucked some hair behind my ear.

"Yes." I whispered, then leaned in closer, my lips brushing softly against his as I whispered. "You are taking the pessimism from me, and I don't think I like it."

"Try being optimistic, it's much easier."

"I've seen too much of life to be optimistic." I replied.

"No, you just haven't seen the light yet, my dark angel." And with that, he leaned forward and pressed his lips firmly against mine.