CHAPTER TWELVE

Her parents, Brother and his girlfriend had left the home to who knows where and it left Maya alone at her old childhood home

Her parents, Brother and his girlfriend had left the home to who knows where and it left Maya alone at her old childhood home. However, she wouldn't actually call it her home, with how she only had terrible memories there.

Besides the home itself, just felt like a luxury hotel that you'd only ever probably be able to experience once in your life if you'd come from an average income household. There was no warmth whatsoever. It was nothing like the Rez, where when you came home—there was fresh food made, or people over. It was barely ever empty in the home. Having visitors was a daily thing and the homes itself were never secured, because everyone trust everyone.

Maya took the time to explore the place, wanting to just kill time. While she did, she found herself in her mother's office. For a moment, she stayed outside, because she knew how she was never allowed to enter it. But, Maya really did not care at all. She was bored and if this cured it, she'd snoop around.

Walking into the room, that was pretty much spotless, filled with books and file cabinets. She pursed her lips walking by and eyeing everything. It took her moment to reach the desk that was in the back center of the room.

Her hand slid on the table before pulling out the chair and sitting in it. Her nose scrunched at the feeling of being sat in such a spacious room, with the desk centered. The idea of it just felt so superfical and she shivered at the thought that if her parents did not ship her off to the Rez—she'd be in a office just like this for work. Even if she was only a senior in Highschool, her parents already had her brother working at that age.

Despite how she felt for Nathaniel, she did feel bad that he was forced into a lot of responsibilities at a young age, since she never met up to their parents expectations. The work that was supposed to be split between them was shouldered onto him.

However, with the past few days spent with her family, she realized that she was far from caring about them. They made their choice to be the way they are. They were consumed in the desire to be one with a society that changed without development.

While in her thoughts, as Maya was just opening the drawers in the desk—she noticed a false door that was slightly open. She reached for it and tried to opened it. It took a few attempts to get it fully open to reveal the contents, but she gave no sign of giving up.

A few more minutes of tugging, the door was finally opened. When she reached inside, she pulled out a thick leather book and a manila folder. She decided to check the folder first, since the thick book was giving off that it was a diary of some sorts.

Maya place the book on her lap and opened the folder and as she did. Her eyes shot wide open. It was her birth certificate—but before even thinking on why it was hidden at such an awkward place, she nearly dropped the file when she saw something completely wrong.

The one listed as her father—was not Mario Cruz.

It was a name she was very familiar with, because it was the name of his best friend that she had met countless times growing up whenever she went to dinner with her parents.

"What the fuck?" Maya mumbled as she leaned back on the chair.