CHAPTER ONE

Maya Cruz was not the daughter Mario and Kristina had hoped for

She was not perfect enough for their little family.

She was not the child they had pictured for their perfection.

She did not have perfect marks, and she did not have the right manners.

Mario and Kristina had come from a past that they prefer to never speak of. It was not the image they wanted to mould them, so they threw it away.

They became cultured to the reality that surrounded them in the city that stripped them away from the people that grew in a place like the reservation of the Makah tribe.

To them, it was a past they buried deep not allowing it to ever resurface but Maya, she hated it. She hated the city life, and she hated pretending on being someone she was not.

So, in her case, it drove her to become what her parents label her as the Deviant child.

Through her rebellion, her parents have gotten to the point of adopting a child that they could mould into their little perfect treasure.

The moment her adopted brother Nathaniel had been brought into the picture, it had sparked a stronger bone in Maya's body to rebel even more.

So, she did, which had finally pushed her parents on the last straw of tolerance. So, in the scenario of saving what left of the dignity they had, they could only think of one other person who'd be able to handle her.

And that was Kristina's s half-sister Tiffany Call, or which to the public she prefers as a distant friend. It was how far Mario and Kristina had gone to cutting off anything that connected them to their old lives.

To say Maya was happy being sent away is the understatement of a lifetime. She was thrilled to be returning home. She didn't even turn her back at the airport and not even uttering a single word to her 'parents'.

She didn't even want to call them that, so she always referred to them as Mario and Kristina and nothing more. If people would ask about her parents, she'd say they were dead.

It was the truth to her at least, since the last time she considered them her parents was when she was 6 years old.

The only worry Maya had about moving to the Reservation was feeling like an outsider, which she knew was nothing secret about the place. The last time she was even there was when she was only 4 years old, and the most she can remember is her older cousin Embry who'd always stuck up for her. It was the cliché 'my older cousin is my idolized older sibling' scenario.

As for Tiffany Call, to Maya she was not a mother figure, in fact, she had the whole 'relative you only see during Christmas' feel to it. She knew Tiffany had been a mother to Embry from the small fragments of her memories, but other than that, she had come to not putting her aunt in low standards since she had taken her in.

It was not her right to put her in a place especially since she was going out of her way to start caring for a niece that she only saw once since being born.