Chapter 13: La Luna

"You can't get too much winter in the winter." -Robert Frost

***

*Jagalan's POV*

Don't panic. Jack is being possessed by a sun demon he'll probably kill me he still has to get the injection how am I going to get him to take it this is going to be harder to manage don't panic.

Jack sighs. "You know, the moon and I weren't always like this." He almost sounds sad. "We were actually good friends once. Near the beginning of time, we were inseparable-metaphorically I mean-and I was convinced for a while that I loved her. Then, it all went straight to hell. I can't tell you what happened. It's very complicated."

Why is he telling me this?

Jack's eyes are locked on me now. "I'm going to give you some advice. Don't fall in love; it's too risky. I'll help you not fall in love. I mean," he laughs, "if you're dead, you can't feel anything!"

I catch on a minute too slow and feel a flash of heat by my head. Jack is throwing gusts of light my way, trying to incinerate me. I dodge them the best I can, but he is fast, and he isn't tiring. I still have the syringe in my hand. I just need to stick it in his arm.

Easier said than done. Anytime I even advance near him, a kind of force field sends me flying backwards.

"What's in your hand?" Jack asks this just as he is about to send another gust of heat at me. I try to hide the syringe but he seizes my wrist, and his hot hand makes me wince. Rapidly, he tears the syringe from my hand and pins me against the wall, one arm across my chest to ensure I can't move. "This is for Jack? Well, I don't want him to have this..."

He just stares at it, and without warning he drives the needle into my neck. I gasp in pain and shudder as he injects the liquid into me. He steps back, and I fall to the cave floor, coughing and clutching my pounding head.

What will happen to me?

I must have blacked out for a few seconds because the next thing I know I'm like Jack. I've received his powers from the elixir, and now I'm fighting back with my own skills.

He's starting to get frustrated and I can tell; he's working harder. I do my best to hurry, and I manage to refill the syringe after I hit him with a particularly hard blow.

But I have the lower hand here. Everything I shoot at him melts right on his skin. Sure it hurt and weakened him, but it will take more for me to hurt him than the other way around.

I have approximately four minutes to get this elixir into his neck.

Jack is more menacing than ever. His hair is completely black now, and his skin shines cherry along with his eyes. His teeth can crush a human skull, and his nails grow by the minute.

As for me, I feel my skin get paler and colder, and I imagine my hair is fading to white now, but I can't check. I'm sort of busy.

Blow after blow I block, hoping to tire him out enough to stab him with the healing potion-the one thing that can bring my Jack back to me. I can't help but wonder where the real Jack was. He's still inside, but is he pushed down to his feet, flattened and suffocating? Is he trying to regain control, or is he gone, unable to think?

Jack's fist comes in contact with the side of my head and I fall with a groan of pain. He kneels over me. I have a perfect shot.

So does he.

His blade of fire comes down at the same time my cure comes up.