Chapter 43: Hero Killer Stain

Start from the beginning

Night had descended like a blanket over Hosu by the time we arrived in the city. Nothing out of the ordinary was happening but I could sense some sort of tension in the air. A sense of anticipation for an unknown event was building up. I think Kacchan could sense it as well because he seemed to be on guard.  We roamed the streets around the City Plaza, keeping alert so that we didn't miss a single detail which could point us towards the hero killer. I thought I caught the flash of a blade and was about to turn around to see what it was when an inhuman screech echoed through the alley we were in. My head whipped around to the direction which the noise came from, I saw that the sky was full of smoke and dancing with firelight. It all seemed to be stemming from the centre of the city. "Follow close behind me! The city is under attack!" Endeavour shouted back at us (Todoroki, Kacchan, me and the three sidekicks with us). He was already running towards the plaza, towards the unknown danger. I was about to follow behind him when I saw the flash of a blade in the low light and the faint smell of blood wafted through the air. I'm sure I was the only one who could smell it, my sense of smell was enhanced after all. I couldn't stop myself, I spun around began sprinting down the closest alleyways, following my nose to the scene.

I think Kacchan and Todoroki must have called out and told me to stop, but I couldn't. Somebody was in danger. I heard their heavy footsteps following me, but I didn't care. I had to help whoever was in danger. By the time I arrived at the scene, the smell of blood almost made me gag. And the scene didn't make it any better. The hero killer, Stain, was stood above Iida's seemingly paralyzed body. His sword was raised, ready to claim Iida's life. He didn't realize we were there. I acted without thinking. My knife was flying through the air before I could even process that I had just thrown a knife at somebody.    

I had no idea how the man atop Iida knew that the knife as whizzing towards him, but he managed to jump out of the way before it could impale him. The knife did, however, cut his cheek shallowly. My knife landed in the wall with a thunk. I wasn't aware that my knife was sharp enough to stick into bricks. "Another wannabe hero?" the man rasped. His voice made me on edge, it sounded like nails being dragged down a  chalkboard or a dentist's drill. As much as I would have loved to stop and talk with the most wanted man in Hosu, I thought it was probably best that I tried to take him down. I knew that I wouldn't be able to take down the hero killer. He had killed dozens of fully trained pro heroes, what was one first year going to do? I couldn't give up though, because otherwise Iida, the pro hero who was slumped against the wall and I would all die.

I launched myself towards Stain, drawing my other knife as I went. Stain attempted to use his sword to cut me, but I deflected it with my knife. I didn't give Stain the chance to attack again, I punched him directly in the face and ran over to my other knife, yanking it from the wall. I spun around to see Stain's sword about to slice into my face. My heart rate sped up as I watched the serrated edge of the sword move towards me in slow motion. Adrenaline coursed through my body as I reacted without thinking. I transformed into a dragonfly to avoid Stain's sword. I saw shock flicker across his face but he didn't have long to wrap his head around the situation because he was blasted away by an explosion. "OI! GET AWAY FROM IZUKU YOU BASTARD!" Kacchan screamed from the opposite side of the alleyway. I transformed back and saw that both Kacchan and Todoroki were stood at the end of the alley. Just looking at them made me scared. Kacchan always looked scary, but at that moment, the look in his eyes could have turned somebody to stone. Todoroki didn't look any less intimidating. The fire which wreathed his face and glowed in his eyes made me weak at the knees. "Midoriya, pick up Iida and come over here." Todoroki ordered. Ordinarily, I would have challenged him, who was he to order me around? But the look of anger in his eyes and the fact that I was in no position to argue compelled me to follow his instructions. I scurried away to Iida and pulled his arms over my shoulders before dragging him over to Kacchan and Todoroki.