Chpt 19 - On My Terms

Ivan leaned back in his large chair, his hard violet stare moving over the four of us before it rested on me. Despite the chill that passed through me, and despite Arthur gripping my wrist tightly in response, I managed to maintain eye contact with the Russian pirate.

A few seconds of silence passed.

A smile eventually graced Ivan's face, but it was accompanied with a sinister gleam in his eyes.

"Why don't you tell me what you know first, sunflower?" he asked in a nonchalant tone that held a sharp edge to it.

It was a challenge.

I stilled the mild fear inside of me, pushing it away; now was not the time to be anything other than calm, collected, and confident.

I slipped my wrist out of Arthur's grip so that I could move the few steps forward to stand right in front of the desk, leaning on it with my hands as I pretended to scan over the map that was spread out on the desk. Arthur immediately moved to stand closer to me, and Antonio and Francis also moved a few paces forward.

After a few seconds, I raised my gaze to look Ivan in the eyes again.

"Well, it would be quicker if you started, wouldn't it? After all, I think we have a bit more information than you, so if we started explaining it would take us longer," I said innocently. A sly smile touched my lips. "We'd best start with whoever has the least information."

I could feel Arthur stiffen next to me, but I kept my eyes on Ivan.

Was I maybe slightly stupid for challenging the Russian pirate back? Yes, definitely. But there was absolutely no way I was going to let him believe that he could push me about, no matter how intimidating he was. I was going to stand my ground.

I think this is one of those instances where bravery is actually stupidity in disguise, I mused internally.

Ivan frowned at me, before rising and then leaning forward on the desk so that our faces were only a few centimeters apart. His expression was a touch colder than it had been.

"You have nerve, sunflower, I'll give you that," he commented darkly, "But I am in charge here."

"Ah ah ah," I tutted in response, "This is an alliance, Ivan. Which means that no one person is in charge; it's a shared authority, see? And currently, four out of five of us-" I gestured vaguely in the direction of the others "-think that you should tell us what you know first."

Ivan's frown deepened as the atmosphere grew icy for a couple of minutes. He studied me closely, violet eyes thoughtful. Arthur remained rigid beside me and both Francis and Antonio seemed to be holding their breath.

The Russian drew back, a tense smile forming on his face.

I released a shaky breath that I hadn't realised I had been holding.

"Very well," Ivan said reluctantly, "I will tell you what I know about the Amulet."

He picked up his glass of kvas, swirling the honey-coloured liquid around in the glass for a few moments before he downed it in one go. Placing the now empty glass on the desk, he ran a finger around the rim as he thought.

Arthur glared harshly at Ivan. "Well?" The Englishman snapped angrily, "Are you going to talk or not, you bastard?"

I rolled my eyes and kicked him in the shin lightly. Arthur's glare moved from Ivan to me. I simply raised my eyebrows and glared back, which was my way of saying 'shut the hell up, I'm handling this, just be quiet.' Arthur huffed and muttered a string of curses under his breath.